Making (crochet) patterns!

hii yall !! I’ve been vaguely interested in starting to make patterns (for personal use but also maybe for sale in the future) and wanted to ask people who make patterns how you guys start!? is there a specific pattern you use for making circles/specific shapes, or do you just start and then refine later? I’m mostly interested in amigrumi but any people who make crochet patterns are welcome to share their process :3 ! tysm <3

3 Likes

I usually draw what im thinking of (doesnt have to be a good drawing just get it down on paper and out of your head!) Then you break it down and figure out the general shapes of each peice that goes into it, draw those too!
Now youll have some basic peices to work of
By then you can start working on actually crocheting start with whatever you think would look best (magic ring? whatever you feel like)
While your going make notes of what your doing
When you have the peices finished you can put everything together and look at it maybe take an hour or two and come back to see it fresh
Decide what you like and what you want to change
Revise your notes and change what you think
Make it again
Once your happy with your finished product put your notes together and make it legible
If you want make it again now that you have your pattern
And then your pretty much finished! ( make as many edits and remakes as you want!)
Then you can move on to making a tester call

Im not a professional or anything (im gonna be very real here and say ive never made a sale with a pattern)
But this is usually my process and i think its pretty good to follow obviously you can make changes to it and use steps you feel could help you!

Hope this helps even a little!
Cant wait to see what you come up with and i would like to say good luck! pattern making is so fun but can get repetitive and irritating but is so rewarding in the end!

Sorry for the super long reply lol

2 Likes