Mental Health Awareness Month

She for sure has trichs. I think it would be best for her to tell her parents and they can talk it out. Its very normal that she can’t stop. I had a bit of an episode last night where I spent 2 HOURS nonstop. Just make sure she understands that her family is there for her. When you do see her pull though, try not to raise your voice or snatch her hand away. Be gentle when telling her to stop. She may not even realize she’s pulling her hair.

5 Likes

I’m glad you’re starting to do better. I cant even imagine what these past two years have been like for you. You are very strong and such a gentle soul. Please remember that. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Omg rlly?! I need to tell me mom about this. I’m getting to the point where sometimes I just want to give up bc I really can’t stop on my own. Thank you.:purple_heart:

5 Likes

Its really chill that you don’t hold the past against your parents. I understand the yelling part. My parents used to tell at me but they didn’t know what else to do. They just wanted me to stop. I really hope things get better for me. Sometimes I start thinking about how miserable my life is going to be if I continue pulling my hair. My hair used to be thing everyone would compliment me on (and my stick figure). Now that my hair is short and low-key kinda patchy, its nothing to be in awe of anymore and it hurts to see my sister’s with their long healthy hair and then I have to look in the mirror and see the damage I did to myself. Im also scared that if I have kids in the future that I’ll pass this down to them (I got trichs from my dad but his is very very mild. He also didnt know he had it until I told him about mine.) But regardless, I want to keep fighting this illness.

5 Likes

I understand what you mean about the future and kids. Bipolar runs in my family and it is something my husband and I have talked about.

We recognize that we are 1 step ahead of my parents since I know what the symptoms and triggers look like, and he has done a lot of reading and taken mental health awareness classes when we started dating so he would know what to do and expect… We will be able to get them the help they need right away, while also being more understanding, patient, and able to coach them through it.

5 Likes

That’s amazing that he took the time to do that. You’re with an amazing person.:purple_heart:

5 Likes

Thank you! Having supportive people in your life is so important! Never be afraid to cut out toxic people and take care of yourself! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think you’re amazing, too! You’ve got this :heart:

5 Likes

Man, you got me thinking maybe not all men are crap lol. Thanks though. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

If you know anyone dealing with Trichotillomania or you think someone is, here’s some tips for you:

-Talk to them when THEYRE ready. Mental Health is a very touchy subject especially when it’s self-harm.

• Ask them how long it been and what could have possibly caused it.
  • NEVER YELL AT THEM. THAT ONLY MAKES THE SITUATION WORSE.
  • Let them know you’re hear for them.
  • Understand they may not understand what’s going on either so don’t get annoyed if they can’t give you answers.
  • Do your research BEFORE talking to that person.

Those are a few tips. If you’re dealing with Trichotillomania or know someone who does, feel free to comment more things that could help. Stay strong everybody :purple_heart:

6 Likes

thx

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. My daughter (now 21) struggled with trichotillomania when she was a young teen and going through a particularly bad patch. She is also autistic and bullied a lot. With support she was able to get through it and is doing better. I am glad you have people you can talk to. We all struggle with certain things so it is good to ask for help when we need it, learn to accept and love ourselves and have a positive attitude.

5 Likes

Update- I am extremely close to getting my diagnosis and am doing wonderful! I’m living life to the fullest and am planning to go into teaching! I’m also gonna be moving in with my girlfriend in a couple months!

6 Likes

Omg that amazing!!! So happy for you!!

4 Likes