Most underrated fiber arts tool?

I did some organizing today, and honestly i have some really really weird “tools” im my crochet kit.

For me, i think the weirdest thing is mini lighters and pliers. I use the lighters for cleaning up fuzzies on my acrylic worsted weight creations, and pliers for cutting or removing safety eyes that i misplace or doing fixes at markets.

What are some odd “off the beaten path” tools you have used?

19 Likes

Lint rollers and toothpics. And on occasion, cardboard

9 Likes

I always use paperclips to thread my chunky yarn onto a needle! :joy: It’s weird but it works!

7 Likes

@Apple724 toothpicks?! Ok. I need to know what thats for!

@SashasStitches oh my gosh i wish it was easy to show videos or something because that technique kinda sounds genius ngl

5 Likes

felting needle. its good for adding little details to amis, or fixing up split yarn that you missed. or when i make blankets, i felt the ends that wont stop poking out no matter how much i weave em in lol

also a chopstick to help stuff

6 Likes

The toothpicks can be used to hold parts in place so you can sew them together. I also use curler picks.

I also occasionally have cardboard, lighter to melt the back of the safety eyes so the stay on and a small tape measure.

IH YEAH! And chap stick. That’s for me. :joy:

6 Likes

Makes sense! I use chopsticks for sewing pieces as well as some ami stix i bought that are sheep themed lol

6 Likes

I have used chopsticks and skewers

6 Likes

I have a lighter for safety eyes and a compass for when I need a perfect circle :smile:

6 Likes

I use a chopstick for when I’m sewing on a head to a body or I often use knitting needles to hold parts in place.

6 Likes

Forks! Its the tool of a million uses

7 Likes

I once used some bamboo skewers real fast to knit a practice swatch when I couldn’t find my knitting needles, it worked surprisingly well lol :rofl:

8 Likes

For me it’s those lint removers for pilling and clear nail polish bc sometimes you need the piece to not fray at the end :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Alyphira i use the tooth picks to but in legs and on ocaasion ill use them to put in to crochet edges for amigurimis that arent meant to be cuddled

5 Likes

Pet brush
comb
popsicle stick not sure why I have that but it’s on my crochet cart.
Pet poop bags for my yarn garbage.

4 Likes

I also use ziplock bags to separate my WIPs. I like to gather up the yarns I’m going to use for each testing pattern put it in the bag put a piece of paper in it for what is for and the due date.

3 Likes

I do not used pins or anything maybe a crochet hook to see where to place the arms and legs other than that my imagination.

2 Likes

I use pliers too , to get the safety eyes of! I also use wooden skrewers for my crochet flowers. I use my ring mandral and wrap my yarn around it to make cakes :rofl: I know its weird & a lot of work but i dont have a yarn winder and it works!

2 Likes

There’s always mini lighters in my bag too! I like to use them to melt acrylic ends before tucking them in.

2 Likes

These hair curls from the dollar tree to help with support in the necks of dolls and a pet brush for hair.

2 Likes