my pattern keeps curling every attempt

IMG_20230121_130810

7 Likes

Oh, are you using a stitch marker to mark the start of each round? As it could possibly be too many stitches in the round? Or you could maybe check you are doing the stitches correctly using youtube tutorials :slight_smile: How long have you been crocheting for may i ask? :smile:

4 Likes

ive been crocheting since september and i dont have stictch markers yet im looking for some to buy today under 5 dollars (on amazon)

6 Likes

i also think it might be the type of yarn because every time i use that yarn and gets too tight and always curls but i don’t know how to fix it

5 Likes

I have found a few that are £2-£3 on amazon :slight_smile: And oh i see, i personally have never had that issue with my yarn. Maybe its the tension on your hook?

4 Likes

i found one too

5 Likes

the bad news is it wont come today

5 Likes

That is fine, there are other alternatives for the time being that you could use:

• Paperclips

• Safety pins

• Floss

• A small piece of yarn

• Clips

There are lots of things at home you could use :smile: I mostly see people using a small piece of yarn and just threading it through at the beginning of the round then removing it at the end and so on for each round

5 Likes

You can just use a piece of another color yarn.

7 Likes

maybe try a bigger hook? unless it matters for size. But, for sure, try to be deliberate with not letting it get too tight.

6 Likes

i only have 2 hook sizes 5 mm and 10 mm but 10 mm is to big for it

3 Likes

well, it’s hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like a few things are going on here
first, yes, stitch markers are nice to have, but just like bookmarks, you can use anything you have laying around.
second, I think your hook is too small for your yarn. changing hook size to compensate for different yarn weights in gauge can only go so far. Rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t go more than 2 sizes either direction from the suggested size for the yarn being used (unless it’s a special effect you are going for
Is that a latch hook hook and not a crochet hook? That will make a HUGE difference in the experience and acquiring the proper hook should take precedence over stitch markers.
next would be your tension, or the amount of drag you put on your yarn while working. Try playing with the way you wrap your yarn around your fingers when using different yarns to adjust the tension on the yarn. The tighter you squeeze the yarn, the tighter your stitches will be.
lastly, it appears you are not keeping adequate stitch counts. the amount of stitches, the spacing of those stitches and the spacing/amount of increases and decreases alll have to remain in balance in order to create the shape you want.
I am not as profecient with crochet people and tutorials as I am for knitting, but I think you should invest a little more time into watching a few and practicing what they are doing until you hit upon a method and style that really works for you

6 Likes

Hi! I hope what I say will help but I started crocheting about a two years ago when I was 11? Well I didn’t have hooks but you obviosly do but anyways when I crocheted my projects would curl like yours not only that but it would become a triangle instead of a square- I was using a pencil for my crochet hook thank goodness I have a real hook now- but the point is is that the problem for me was my tension I was pulling too hard try losening a little ONLY If you feel like that might be the problem or just test it out if it curls then it’s probably not that or try to counting your stitches also another thing if none of these tips help just continue to crpchet it will eventually straighten itself out hope this help!!! :blue_heart::rose:Naudia

3 Likes

the latch hook was the only hook i had that didn’t break and was a similar size to my other crochet hook which also broke and now i use a latch hook until i can get a stronger crochet hook and i also saw another way to wrap it around my fingers

2 Likes

I have to change how I wrap my yarn depending on the size of the yarn and what it is made of… and yeah… the hook could also be part of the problem, but here’s to thinking outside the box

2 Likes