never finishing

does anyone else get half way through a project and then just… stop? like i just feel like i cant finish anything

10 Likes

The only times I go through that is if it was a bad yarn choice or I had an idea and it isn’t working out… It took me 6 months to figure out my Abbott heel idea for the Spats sock. I can knit a sweater in as little as a week, so 6 months for a sock felt like forever.
Back when I had less experience, I would run into “bad” patterns that made projects miserable to work on and I would give up as soon as I realized that I wasn’t going to get the item I thought I was This can also happen if you chose patterns that are actually too far above your experience level, you can’t relax and get into it and the it causes dread at the thought of working on it.
Finishing projects takes not only interest, skill, and good patterns, but also discipline.

3 Likes

ISTG I was literally thinking about my unfinished project rn lmfao

2 Likes

All the time, usually because it’s a bigger project, harder, or really repeatative like I can’t handle doing 100+ granny squares in a row. So I do lots of little ones in between. I keep it on my shelf so I still remember it till eventually I finish it.

3 Likes

Yes, I break it up nowadays. Used to be able to work in a blanket non-stop, but not anymore.
I have a project like a blanket that I will do a few rows on and then reward myself by working on what I like nowadays-amigurumi.

1 Like

What’s ISTG?

2 Likes

I swear to God

4 Likes

Not so much anymore. I started making for certain events which gives me a timeline I have to finish by. But in the beginning there was a lot of unfinished work

3 Likes

That happens with larger projects. I tend to break up large ones, or just go on a spree of making small plushies. I always feel overwhelmed and like a failure when I stare at unfinished work. If i really hate it, ill frog it and put the yarn away for a while (doing that for a failed tshirt and a failed hoodie here soon).

3 Likes

Ooooooh. Never would have thought of that!

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t think I have the same problem as you with ‘bad’ patterns because at the moment I’m working on the simplest scarf ever but I just don’t want to finish it :joy:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I have a carrier bag behind by bed with 44 granny squares in it but I need 330 for my blanket :joy:

2 Likes

Well scrap the scarf then!

2 Likes

Agreed, if you don’t like it, recover the yarn!

3 Likes

@anoswaldoddity @DovetailCrochet the problem is though that i really like the scarf i just have no motivation to finish it :joy::joy::joy: my current excuse is “well… its not scarf weather yet!” whilt on the bus at 7:20 in the morning freezing :cold_face::cold_face:

2 Likes

i always try and do this!! ill be like “they can have this for their birthday… nevermind christmas!!”

3 Likes

given what you have said so far…
it sounds like you don’t enjoy repetitive patterns.
I don’t know that I would crochet another granny square anything ever again, even for money, for the same reasons that I don’t cross stitch and will never take up amigurumi, I find it to be tedious and repetitive.
Yes, knitting is repetitive, but I don’t have to actually look at it or pay attention to it while doing it. I can watch the tv or hold a conversation and rarely look down for long stretches of time, even on lace. Crochet requires so much more attention.
Try looking for a pattern that requires you to change stitches and patterns and won’t have a built-in dread factor of still having to assemble once you finally get through the piece making marathon. See if that gets your motivation back up.
Interesting fact… granny square blankets were never meant to be the chore they have become. You were supposed to do squares with whatever you had left over when you finished a project and had at least 2 colors in your basket. Once you had enough squares, you would tie them all together with one solid color and make a blanket. This was an item created over the course of years and infused with all the memories of the items that had been made before (like a scrap quilt from hand made clothes).
Churning out projects just for the sake of churning out projects divorces the fiber arts from the love and meaning they used to have. Sometimes you just have to take a break and find that again.

3 Likes

ohhhh thankyou for the suggestion!

2 Likes