New to be a tester for others patterns

Am a new pie to be a tester for others patterns, I got these questions on my mind and want to share with you all and we can help each other and help who want to become a tester like me.

• List item When receiving the test pattern are you staked with the type of yarn and hook mentioned in the pattern or goes with something similar with the same hook mentioned?

• List item Do you try to test with other types of yarns and hooks or not?

• List item Do recommend to add a stitches or try different this to improve this pattern then recommend it to the designer?

Share with us any other tips help us to become professional tester to reach the designer expectation. Thank you to pass by my topic and have a good lovely day.

8 Likes

Most depend on the pattern being tested. You should check with the designer and see what they recommend. In my experience, the yarn can be changed if it’s basically the same. Anything where gauge is important, should use the same yarn / hook, or what it takes to get gauge. Always do a gauge swatch on clothing. Once again, the designer can help you with each pattern being tested. As to changing anything to do with the pattern, I would not recommend it. You can suggest something if there is an issue. Hope this helps you. We all need good testers. If you do get chosen, mostly, be sure to do it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would contact the designer if there is something not working out with stitch count and rows/rounds, as for improving the pattern, I would try to stick to the pattern that the designer sent you. You could always suggest something :blush: I think most designers are open to suggestions for improving patterns or for making new patterns :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply, really help to understand better how to deal with the testing process and what we need as a tester to think about. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply, yes exactly that help much to understand our role towards the designer. Will take all the things mentioned and keep it in mind. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I always hope testers will use whatever yarn and hoook combo will allow them to meet gauge and be a successful version of the project (drapery yarn isn’t for every project, etc). I try to give a thorough indication of what qualities would be good to have in the yarn, and the weight of course. Sometimes I have a few suggested yarns I think would work well, but my testers can choose whatever. There are advantages to a tester using an inappropriate for the project yarn too. You never know what a customer will choose, so when I’ve seen the results, I may have some extra advice like “best suited for acrylic”, or “yarn must have good drape kr item will be very stiff” or whatever is appropriate to mention. Honestly, I try to give that kind of advice to the testers too, but some people will choose what they want no matter what and then there’s proof!

Whatever hook is co for table and meets gauge is always the right hook. I try to phrase it as recommended hook, and include “or hook to meet gauge”. I find even for myself, my own gauge varies between. my two sets of hooks.

As far as alterations go, if a part isn’t working out and you see the issue, a wrong stitch count in a direction or something like that, that’s where I love “it didn’t work for me as written. X worked instead, is this what you meant? “ before continuing last that point. There’s a chance I meant something entirely different, changes to the style itself are not welcome to me. If someone wants to buy my pattern and use it as a foundation for their idea, cool. Especially when they still give me credit for designing the base pattern. But that’s not the purpose of a test, it’s to make sure the pattern works as written, so if you don’t love it in the designers sample photos, maybe it’s not for you until it goes on sale and you can buy it and make it suit yourself.

That being said, sometimes, I may suggest a couple variations, or ways to change part of it up a little. In these cases, I welcome creativity, as long as it stays within the bounds of the pattern (still following the instructions on the page). I had one hat pattern written for dk weight. I also listed advice for working in any yarn weight by altering stitch counts and giving measurements to reach to find the counts. I was super happy to have a tester decide to use another weight. And had at least 2 more testers who loved the pattern make at least one more hat with weights other than dk after finishing gushier first, all before the test deadline. This is ok by me because they were testing another aspect of the pattern. I’m also good with people adding or removing length to body or sleeves to fit. Or testing a C2C graph in another weight to be used as a wall hanging or pillow cover instead of a blanket as long as I know ahead that’s the intention in case I really need it done “ by the book” (I’ve offered this idea to testers but haven’t had anyone take me up on it yet). Basically, things that show the versatility of the pattern without altering the pattern and I like to know first.

Hope this is useful, a little wordy, it I figure it’s easier to understand why it usually works he way it does if you know where the other side is coming from.

5 Likes

Thanks you so much for your reply, am with that the best thing to try as the pattern materials but sometimes not available with the tester or something similar that may suit as well.

I think the tester role to check the steps of the pattern and if any point need to be improved can suggest that to the designer to take it on consideration and try their best to test similar yarn brand or type, and the second try they can change the hook size also yarn which give the designer another dimension when the tester used materials as been mentioned and when try different hook sizes and yarn.

In addition to all that we need to understand that everyone have different tensions when crocheting, what I mean here about me was working on a pattern with gauge I tried different hooks to meet it but still struggling with it even if used the same yarn. So that as you mentioned most testers use what they want.

Thank you for your valuable information and response. Have a good day :blush:

3 Likes

~I always go with the yarn type e.g if the pattern requires a type 3 yarn I use a type 3 yarn. Because if the design is a breezy and light pattern using a type 4 yarn will make the finished product heavy and stiff.
~ For the hook size. I first use the recommended hook size, but if I don’t meet the gauge I either reduce or increase hook size then I inform the designer.
~ I only make changes to the pattern only if the designer permits it.
~ I sometimes suggest improvements to the designer to help the pattern more readable. e.g if a part of the pattern needs a diagram or picture to explain better.

5 Likes

Thank you for participating :sparkling_heart:, nice way you do. But sometimes there no gauge mentioned so just go with the yarn and hook mentioned in the pattern and finish the item. Then try different hook and yarn specially when you like to make another. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes