Non Responsive Tester advice

Hi everyone, I posted a call for pattern tester on my crochet Argyle Sweater Vest pattern 9 days ago. I received one tester request and I added them immediately. Then I went to the tester group message tab (even tho I only had 1 tester, and not a group) and I typed a note thanking them for offering to test, and asking them to let me know what size they would be making. They never responded, so the next day I sent a msg to their regular account message inbox on Ribblr. Ive had no contact at all with the person, not even any initial contact (only the original notification from Ribblr saying they want to test). Its been 9 days. Should I remove them from the test? Have I given them enough time to respond? I"m super easy to work with, I am not strict on deadlines at all, I just merely want to know if they are going to work on it or not.

9 Likes

If after 9 days they haven’t replied I believe it’s safe to remove that’s definitely enough time to at least reply

10 Likes

Thank you so much for giving your thoughts on this! I am still really new here and just want to be careful that I’m not coming across unreasonably. I"m also disappointed, as I was looking forward to having some testers to see how it turned out! But only one person wanted to test. Maybe because its a lot of color changes and whatnot.

8 Likes

I saw your pattern and I think it’s wonderful! I think others may be like me and just have a lot on their plates.

6 Likes

Yes I can definitely understand not wanting to come across a certain way but it’s perfectly reasonable to remove a tester with no response in 9 days, ghosting does happen to designers so it’s important to take note of those that do this so you don’t accidentally accept them again :smile:

Karma is also something you can look at too 1 karma is awarded to a tester for 1 completed test so it can sometimes show credibility that at least they’ve tested and completed the test

You can also block a pattern and wait for the testers to respond to unblock it (whether whole or in sections is up to you) to make sure only active testers will have access to your pattern before removing them :smile:

It could be that but also might be the amount of yarn that is needed along with due dates (if there are a lot of tester calls with the same due dates/close to each other/too short) it might cause low applications since testers might have already applied for those that also need to be done at the same time if that makes sense! :smile:

7 Likes

Aw! Thank you SO much!! That really is nice to hear and yeah I totally get it, life is super busy! Thank you for your comment! <3

6 Likes

Oh yes that totally makes sense!! The person did have 1 karma when I approved them. After a few days of not getting a response, I looked at their profile again and they had a 2nd karma! I thought ok that means they were probably finished with what they were working on, and just earned the 2nd karma and then will probably get back to me soon saying they’re ready to start. Thats what I had imagined, and that is what gave me the patience to wait an extra few days LOL :smiley:
Thank you again for the awesome pieces of advice!! I appreciate it greatly!

7 Likes

I would say wait a couple days maybe 3? Thats what I do. Ive tried waiting the 9 days before like @ArtsAndNaps said but it just doesnt work for me, thats why I shortned to 3 days. Ive had a 7 day advancement to when a pattern should be finsished and ill message my testers after that 3 days again in the groupchat and see who is still dedicated to the pattern. Sometimes I still get no answer. And sometimes Ive waited to the end when its due, of course still no answer. Its wasting your time, wether it was 1 person to apply or 5. Id say remove them. If theyre busy they shouldnt apply, or at least they shpuld give a message to the designer after recieving, you knew what the requiremenets were before applying. Just remember those who did this with no responses or anyone who aborts! Ive had that happen as well. Someone will comment to be a tester and when you accept & add them to the group chat they abort the next day. Thats sketchy lol I also know people get busy, which is understandable. I guess I just believe in staying active when I apply to any tester calls & when selected that I expect the same in return. Just common courtesy.

7 Likes

I HATE it when this happens, I started making a list of people to not choose again for testing because of this problem. If its been 9 days, I would definiteky remove them as a tester and choose a new tester to test.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and I’m really sorry you’ve had to go through that as well! If I was a tester, I would absolutely make sure to keep in contact regularly even if I was behind schedule, it only takes a few seconds to send the designer a message to say hey, you know somethings come up.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice and opinion on this! Nine days felt like nine months honestly lol

6 Likes

Its okay! It happens. I just dont let the past experiences happen again. I stop it right away, the second i see something not right. And yes exactly! It takes 2 secs come on now, the excuses they give dont excuse the amount of time it could have took to give a simple message. But I hope everything goes well for you in the future! You can always repost your tester call & try again if you want. Be sturn under your requirements. I feel that has helped me some. Like “Must be active in groupchat, or youll be removed without question” something. Haha good luck​:pray::heartbeat:

4 Likes