not crochet related

ok i dont now if its offensive or if its a complement but some one called me a “cotton picker” so yea

6 Likes

it might have very racist connotations. i am so sorry!

7 Likes

you dont have to say sorry but the wierd thing is im not african american

6 Likes

ye its weird then… what was the context?

7 Likes

well i was with my friend and some one just came up to me and said cotton picker

6 Likes

That’s weird, if you don’t mind me asking what race are you? I have been reading about things like this so I might have an answer. Stuff like this has happened to me too​:cry:

7 Likes

ok im from brazil but i have mexican parents b/c adoptin thing so yeah i get my skin coolor is dark but im not african american

6 Likes

:rage:It’s meant to be derogatory.
Cotton pickers , historically, were the poorest of the poor. Entire extended families would pack up everything they had and go to where the next harvest was and gather in the harvest starting from July to as late as October.
Cotton pickers were Irish in early America when the “English” moved to America.
Typically, “cotton pickers” did not own homes, and all the stuff that goes with it, their children did not attend school, were generally illiterate as a group, and were often victimized by the very people who hired them.
So, that’s the history lesson for the day.
And for the person who said that to you- negates their own personhood when they minimize yours.

9 Likes

People who call you names or generally try to offend you are normally people who are just suffering and are trying to drown others in their own misery.

Ignore them and move on, they are not worth your attention or time, unless it’s a cry for help and you can actually help them get better. Otherwise please do not let them bring you down!

9 Likes

i hate to say but they were definitely being racist. im black so i unfortunately deal with this kind of stuff a lot.

8 Likes

omg im so sorry i now what you feel since i moved to usa ppl just say dont talk to the black girl there bad ppl but im not black and im not bad so i dont get it

6 Likes

So sorry you had to go through this!

Just ignore people like this. They obviously are just negative people and do not deserve your time or attention.

8 Likes

we have some very bad stereotypes against us so…yeah. but just ignore them. whoever is saying this stuff to you is just a close minded person who doesn’t have any respect for themselves or others. they are most likely very aware that youre not black but theyre jealous of your complexion because its more on the darker side. i mean honestly, they are people who will look down on me because of the color i am and then turn around and go get a tan so they can have a “hot girl summer” (which is a term created by a BLACK woman). if thats not jealously then i dont know what is.

7 Likes

this is how we were originally designed to be

10 Likes

this video has always made me so happy! its so good to know that gen z and other future generations will love each other the way we’re supposed to. one of my best friends is white and we have so much in common! i love her to death and i sometimes think about our friendship and get confused on why everyone isnt like that. why cant we all just love each other and be friends based on our likes/dislikes? you can even take ribblr for example. we all love each other and laugh and talk together regardless of where we come from.

10 Likes

You’re awesome :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

you said you wondered why everyone isn’t like you and your friend. i think more are than aren’t, it’s just that the mean minded people stick out like a sore thumb so you are more likely to notice them. I see a lot of mixed race marriages (of all kinds), friendships, etc and most people have no problem with any of it. so much better than decades ago. Ignore those who are small minded and who are just trying to stir things up, they are not worth a second thought. Like I use to my grand daughter (who worried about what others thought about her when she was in grade school) in case she were to be bullied, just look them in the eye and say “wow, that might actually hurt my feelings if I cared what you thought, but I don’t, so there’s that” and walk away.

10 Likes

I need to use that!!! thanks for giving me something to say to the haters lol and i agree that the world is changing and people are too. nowadays, race really doesnt matter to most people.

8 Likes

the main thing is to walk away after you say that, do NOT acknowledge them after that and do NOT continue that conversation no matter what they say, or you are sending the message that you really do care.

8 Likes

That’s called setting a boundary. They may not like you for it but they will respect you for it.

8 Likes