Ok pet peeve

Ooooohhhhh! I understand now. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

This is why I love testing, it gives me the chance as a tester to point these things out, and as a pattern maker having people point this out is so helpful because otherwise I think one picture of the final product is enough.

3 Likes

Suggestion: Get designers to choose at least one beginner and one advanced tester for their patterns. They see the project with different eyes and will find different things. I KNOW it by personal experience that IT WORKS. Each will catch things the other wonā€™t, if they are there to actually test it, not to just go through it, say itā€™s all good, and make it their way to get a free pattern.

2 Likes

i agree

1 Like

Are you kidding meā€¦ We canā€™t even get designers to pick people without having them like and follow and tag friends for them to annoy, and construct a haiku, make a tiktoc, provide 2 forms of photo ID, give fingerprints, submit an autobiography, and agree to pay for the patternā€¦i think I lost the plot

5 Likes

Welcome to Ribblr @Creager99

1 Like

I get this. It can really upset me

1 Like

This is interesting to me as a designer! In my patterns I like to include instructions on where to sew to assemble the parts together but I donā€™t include exact directions on how to sew. So Iā€™ll add photos and instructions for example on where to sew the sleeves to body, but not how to sew. :thinking: My mindset is always everyone has a preferred sewing method and if itā€™s not a part of the actual design it doesnā€™t matter much. But now youā€™ve got me rethinking and wondering if I should include even just a link to a video of ā€œsewing for beginnersā€ or something. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes! The newbies will thank you for it!

2 Likes

:joy::woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

But seriously: (What Iā€™m about to write will upset most designers here who do that - even though I donā€™t think most do it on purpose, but just because of the way this generation thinks now.) A lot of what happens in these cases is that these designersā€™ first focus are their business, marketing, popularity, financial success, etc, even before securing the absolute quality of their designs. First you have to be completely sure you have something to show for, then you do media advertising. It was very recent when I had a special friend exposing me to a whole new world of needle work, and I never imagine that existed out there and saw different qualities of patterns, designs, and yarn. I feel like Iā€™ve been living in another planet, so my point of view may be completely wrong. In that case, sorry for the long post, but I just think if you are going to show something out there, work it out inside first where people are all in the same ā€œtrying/learning/working worldā€ first. This is already one level of somewhat competition business but friendly (mostly :wink:) but out thereā€¦ in social.mediaā€¦itā€™s a big step up in the business talk.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I call it the copy syndrome. So when you are crafting, lets say cutting flowers out of paper. You are supposed to take your first flower and trace that over and over so that your flowers are consistent. If you are working on a sewing pattern fitting, you are supposed to preserve the original piece and make the changes to that each time. If you are writing, you are supposed to save your work at each editing point.
You do this because you get slight variations and blurred details with each edit. Same thing happens with knitting and crochet. Sitting with an old person and learning the craft over a period of time from someone that has really mastered it is a VASTLY different experience than learning it from a youtuber that has only been doing it for a year and they learned it from a youtuber that had only been doing it for a year and so on. Because you donā€™t know how much you donā€™t know about a thing you never learned, you have no idea that you are not the expert you think you are and you are passing along a further diminished copy of what you are trying to do. So you get a never ending tide of yarn divas out there that donā€™t even understand the basic fundamentals of the craft.

3 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to see the pattern that shows you how. Was doing one last night and Iā€™m like I DONT" KNOW HOW TO DO THIS when theyā€™re saying put this here and sew this here or even just crochet this right into it, Iā€™m like I"M NEW HELP ME!

2 Likes

I feel ya!
I Got You Heart GIF by Tristen J. Winger

2 Likes