Opinions welcome

I understand both, however i think option 2 is easier. I think either would be okay, just depends of the skill level of your pattern

4 Likes

Poll is closed. We have a clear winner in #2 though @Freyamigurumi brings up a good point. I would be curious to know if skill level plays a factor in preference. I write most of my patterns at an intermediate level; but try to make them accessible to beginners with detailed tutorials. This could very well be why I get such conflicting feedback during testing on this topic here in ribblr and in my Pdf patterns.
Thank you to everyone who weighed in :purple_heart: Your feedback is always appreciated and put to good use :v:

Little update for me:
I have put my last 2 turtle patterns on the back burner for the moment (they are stressing meowt :exploding_head:)
But I am finishing up my kitty pattern (that was supposed to be released before all the turtles :flushed:)
:sweat_smile: It’s chubby, it’s cute and there will be a tester call for it soon. :heart_hands:

5 Likes

[ ] go around stitches that are all placed in the same space
( ) go around stitches that are repeated.

, seperates different stitches

This might help you decide :wink:

3 Likes

That was demonstrated in option 1 :smile_cat:

2 Likes

I would say option 2 is easier if you wnat to make it more beginner friendly! But i think both make sense and either would work!

3 Likes

Sorry for giving a nuanced response but… I think it depends on the pattern. If certain combinations of stitches are a bit of a motif (for example, if the [sc, inc]x2 comes up often), I would write it in a way that emphasizes that because it will look more familiar to the person following the pattern. Another time I think the first option works best is if the bit in the brackets forms a very easily recognizable part of a finished project, like if the [sc, inc] were at the base of birds’ wings, and that makes sense to highlight these stitches’ positions in the row. Otherwise, I am in favour of writing in long form unless the row’s instruction gets really really long! (Like this explanation! I hope it made sense!)

2 Likes

If you did the first one, put in the abbreviations that brackets mean hypothetical

3 Likes

The whole thing is hypothetical :sweat_smile: I think people might assume I am asking for help with a real pattern, when it is just a preference.

2 Likes

Ohhh okay then either is good to me but I’m more used to 1

3 Likes

It’s really personal flavor for the designer, but I usually go with option one, without the box brackets. Those can be used for another type of seperator, like if you’re doing a complicated chain, or you want all of those stitches in one stitch

2 Likes