Paid patterns? 🤔

For people who have paid pattern (if you’re comfortable with sharing) how many people have bought your pattern and what pattern was it? :heartpulse:

I wonder cause i dont know if i should release some paid patterns or not and if it would be successful :blush:

🩷:heartpulse:🩷:heartpulse:🩷:heartpulse:🩷:heartpulse:🩷:heartpulse:🩷

25 Likes

I want too know this too!

10 Likes

I know @itsfayfay4 has made some sales!

7 Likes

Some of mine have had a couple sales but sadly not someone who’s made loads aha

6 Likes

I have sold a bit of patterns (just checked, I have 66 sales) and I also have a free ones. I have the most sales with my bag patterns, but I think that’s because they are my best designs.
I think writing a paid pattern is worth a try but don’t expect too much and also you have to be realistic with the fact whether or not the pattern should be paid. For determining the price I usually look at length of the pattern. For wearables I wouldn’t make it a paid pattern of it’ s shorter than 6 pages on Ribblr. Amigurumi is more complex so it could be shorter, but that isn’t my niche so I can’t tell you too much about it.

4 Likes

Your patterns are really cute! I like the spooky vibes :ghost: :spider_web:

3 Likes

I’m glad you like it, Halloween themed sweater pattern is coming soon!

3 Likes

I’ve had pattern sales! I keep all of mine under $5 and price them based on size/amount of crocheting. My larger ones or ones with multiple accessories/details are closer to 4 and small ones closer to 3. And i often run sales where they are cheaper.
My best advice (and you may be doing this already) is to have free patterns first to build an audience/make people comfortable and confident with your patterns. When I look for a new pattern I first start by going back to my favorite pattern makers and seeing what they have because I know they will produce a great pattern and I’m comfortable with it. If it costs money I know I will like the pattern so I’m okay spending it. I also on Ribblr will check the journals made with that pattern or others the creator has if it’s new. I find this helpful to see if the pattern translated well to others which makes me more confident in buying their pattern! So it’s helpful to have journals made from your patterns either by free patterns or testers or friends you gifted it too!
Hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have had 16 sales sincd i started in february! Some advice i have is to make some free patterns too, as it gets you followers and makes your shop more popular. Another thing i do is making announcements when brand new patterns are released. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you!

2 Likes

thank you!

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

For Amigurumi, I like to go by the amount of parts and complexity for an Amigurumi pattern. Does it have a lot of parts to sew? Does it have removable accessories? Did you take a week or 2 to write it? Those are good indicators for pricing amigurumi. As for clothing, I agree with Ayano.

3 Likes

I’ve had a few sales.
I start by looking at how much I’d pay for the design if I was seeing it for the first time. Which gives me an idea of baseline. I follow that with looking at other designers prices to see what a design sane size, style is selling for.
I then calculate my fees jot those down as part of what I call a base price. My base price is a mix of the fees and time spent on designing, how well the design is written.
To me a well written design has proper format, photos, well written instructions. That’s your time and if your through it’s something to consider.
Next step for me is I look at is this design a two in one or does it have accessories? If it doesn’t now but in the future you may design something then you could factor that in as well.
The biggest mistake I see with designers is not pricing something that it’s worth. Just remember to not undercut your work. That why I mentioned setting a base price and building on it from there. Every platform has their fees so consider that too.
I’ll be honest my prices on here are far different then say others. One because their sites are different which kinda perplexes me. And two if I can offer bundles I will.

Here’s my personal opinion on pricing
I’ll pay within reason $6-7 for any Ami/plush pattern what gets me to purchase again is the way the pattern is written if it’s for an accessory or wearable i then determine that based on how much I love the design.

3 Likes

I have a mix of free and paid. I have only had maybe 2 paid patterns go. I sell on Ravelry and Etsy too and Etsy is my best over all, with several sales weekly.

2 Likes