Pattern stealing

What @xhunni said!

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

7 Likes

I feel like frankenstein-ing different patterns together and then claiming it as original work isn’t really making or writing your own pattern. For example if you use the body of one pattern, the arms of another, and the legs of another then where were you in the creation process? It was all already done.

I think it’s like a plain salad without dressing; you can put uncut tomatoes, lettuce, and baby carrots in a bowl but at the end of the day you didn’t grow the lettuce or even take the time to slice the tomatoes, you just threw it in a bowl. If the salad was good it wasn’t because of your cooking expertise it was because you picked good produce from the store. (no hate to plain salads just an example)

4 Likes

I think consciously copying any part of a pattern is theft - copying a single answer on a test is still cheating even if you complete the rest yourself.

That said, there are only so many ways to crochet. If your pattern includes a bowl, square, circle, ball, tube, egg shape, etc. it will absolutely be identical to some other pattern out there (at least in part) whether you’ve seen it or not. If you’re creating clothing and are using standard sizing, the likelihood that the design already exists is pretty high.

Essentially, unless a pattern uses only newly invented stitches and avoids simple shapes it will absolutely be identical to a mix of other patterns.

5 Likes

Giving credit to the copyright holder without first acquiring and paying for the license from the copyright holder is insufficient

Patterns should be your own original idea.

Also use only your own photos, don’t use anyone else’s photos. They hold copyright to their photos as well

I see too many people use even trademark images such as Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Sanrio, Mario, looney Tunes, paramount pictures, Star Wars, and a zillion other trademarks and copyright infringement. Don’t do it

6 Likes

This is interesting because one of my first patterns that i had pattern tested on here but isnt in my shop because i did not have one at the beggining looks like somebody stole it and marked it as her own. If she did use her own pattern, then she has a very unique ability to make the silouette of the pattern look very similar to mine.

4 Likes

Draw the line after one, even with credit, and if no credit then none is really acceptabble to me, i believ that if your using multiple part of someone elses then by no means is it yours at all

4 Likes

I’m glad this discussion remained civil. I opted out of the chat feature because of a blowup over this.

4 Likes

you should be crediting no matter what- for example I saw a Christmas tree granny triangle on a shop I wanted to make a pattern for it. so I did and made sure to credit them in the bio. Its its really important to credit.

2 Likes

Something i havent seen anyone else mention is there is only so many ways to do some things. For example, the bee. There are only so many ways you can increase, decrease, color change and make wings, etc. So even with the hundreds of people that legitimately made their own bee pattern, you can’t tell me that multiple wouldn’t come out to be the same or nearly the same in how it’s made. This takes all 5 points and complicates them. Because it then becomes impossible to tell if one was made or copied. Great minds think alike!

Personally i think 5 is the outright line. I personally wont do any splicing of patterns but i have had to wing a pattern because something didn’t make sense or come out right. I didn’t slap my name on it though. Credit still given to the original designer.

Same for edits. I made a Jess Huff cat to look like someone’s oc, freehanding details to fit it. Credit still given to Jess for the pattern.

I believe it’s a good thing to build upon each other. Someone made the famous cow pattern, then someone else took the almost exact same looking design and made it a “strawberry” cow. Then we saw more and more edits to the base. Same for the turtle. I believe give Credit for that inspiration and build a better, helpful, community.

2 Likes