Pet Peeve

My recurring pet peeve for most of the Ribblr patterns I have is that the yardage/meters is not stated. I thought it was the designer, and just discovered it’s what I call a system error.
Ribbuild prompts the designer to enter how many balls used.

It is my BIG opinion that the system prompts for yardage/meter for each color. Rationale, people more likely to buy the pattern if they can determine if they possess enough yarn for it.

@Ribblr

18 Likes

Hmm, yeah that sounds very true! How would one measure the yards/meters of yarn used? I’m just curious since I have trouble knowing how much I used lol

7 Likes

The materials section is a free-text section so it’s completely up to the designer. For example:

7 Likes

If I were doing something that used more than a standard skien, I would say so, but I can’t list yardage because I mostly just reach into my stack and pull out a ball and think"yeah, that’s enough"with no idea how much is there or even what brand it is or how many years I’ve had it

10 Likes

I can see someone who has been working with yarn for a long time being able to gauge if there’s enough yarn. I’m not one of them.

5 Likes

I also don’t know how many yards I need to buy or have used…because yarns where I am are sold by weight (18g, 50g, 100g) :face_with_spiral_eyes: and called by what type they are not by weight (acrylic, milk cotton, fine cotton, poly cotton, velvet, chunky etc, not "worsted weight, sports weight, light weight, etc):woozy_face:

6 Likes

To be more confusing, worsted and dk in the US are not the same as in the UK
And I think the US is the only place that uses yards
I could weigh my finished piece, but that’s only helpful if you have the same yarn.
The best I can do is to say that I used less than 1 skein of worsted(4) or less than 1 skien of sport(2)

8 Likes

Wait, so you know how many yards are in each of the random balls of yarn in your stash?

6 Likes

I have a small postage scale I have used to weigh the skeins, before and after. Sadly, I haven’t been doing that lately. I will try to get better at it.

6 Likes

Nope, I kept all the labels.

5 Likes

So you weigh it and do math

7 Likes

Yes, to determine what is left.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve usually lost the label within hours of starting the first project on the skien

7 Likes

Great point especially with Amigurumi.

5 Likes

This would be so helpful for clothing items.

5 Likes

The easiest way is if the band stated yardage and weight, you can weigh left over yarn, and use this to calculate the yardage.
Eg if you used 50g of a 100g ball that had 120m, you’d have used 50% of the ball thus 60m left over.
All my patterns use little yarn so far so I haven’t added this, that and I don’t have working scales to weigh the yarn.

6 Likes

The only scale I have would be a body scale, so I don’t think that’ll work :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, kitchen or travel scales normally do it. Maybe if your using the giant yarn your scales could help :rofl:

6 Likes

Really i always thought they were the same thank u so much for saying this or else I would have never known :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes