Question of the Day - October 27

Good morning! Today’s question is:
Do you think kids should have phones?
Here we go:
I say the youngest kids should have a phone is 13, it really depends on the situation but I think 13 is reasonable.
How about you?

22 Likes

Like 13 is good but younger is just weird . I get if its for going out and school or if it was free like mine :japanese_ogre: mwhahah i dont have a SIM tho hehe

8 Likes

Honestly with the world we live it now (ew i sound like my mum :skull::skull::fearful::face_vomiting:) i think the youngest is 8-9, i got one at 7 but got a sim card at like 9. mostly cause people are sketchy and she wanted me to be safe, and to be able to call for help if it did come to that point

8 Likes

no

8 Likes

I got my first phone when I was 3 i think?
No SIM card obviously, I only just got one last month lol.
It was for math and other learning apps.
I think a phone can be helpful 5+ especially for public schoolers.
But, must be monitored and no SIM card until at least 10.

7 Likes

3 i didnt have any electronics bruh :skull::skull:

6 Likes

We were really poor so I’m not sure why or how us kids had phones?:skull: Maybe my dads job because he worked at a cellphone company?

6 Likes

I had my first phone at 13 for the purposes of contacting my parents in an emergency. It wasn’t a smartphone though, just capable of basic functions. I think that was a pretty good way of doing things.

9 Likes

I’d say no, but from a rational point of view, I think 13-14 is fine.
Obviously it’s not good for them, but in today’s world we can’t close them off from the online world. The best we can do is try to teach them how to use it in a good way. :iphone:

6 Likes

Huh, this one has me stumped. On one hand, obviously a kid shouldn’t get a phone TOO early, but on the other I feel like a phone is essential in our lives now. I got my first phone at… 12? but before then I had an iPod. My parents weren’t strict with internet usage though so I had free reign before then on the family computer. Obviously, internet usage and social medias should be monitored when young, but I honestly don’t know exactly what age I think people should get phones. I think 13 is reasonable!

8 Likes

I got my phone when I was like 10 and then I upgraded not to long ago from a 6s to a SE ( I only had my 6s for 3 years then the screen got cracked and I had to get it replaced)

6 Likes

I was born in 95, so cell phones for me as a kid was like the Nokia everyone jokes was indestructible. I remember playing snake on my moms phone and it was just pixels moving around. :joy: I never really left my block I lived on, besides crossing one single street to play at the schools park. It wasn’t until I was about 13 and had to walk farther to get to school that my parents got me a cell phone… And that was just an old phone where it slid up to reveal the keyboard, and you had to buy a card at the store to put minutes on it. (Unlimited minutes and data was truly a game changer when it came out)
But now that I’m done talking about how old I am :joy:
I understand both the value in kids having access to apps on a phone or iPad that can help them learn things, and also the dangers of chatting online, stumbling across a webpage you shouldn’t be on, and even the crazy stuff on YouTube now a days. Everyone’s reasoning and the age they give their child a phone will vary. The most important thing is to talk with them about online safety. And honestly, if you do give a young child a device, it’s still important to try and limit their screen time. I’ve been in restaurants and had to listen to kids tv shows blasting on their parents phone so they would sit down and eat. They shouldn’t be dependent upon a device, type of thing.
It’s hard to imagine the lure of a device for a young child because I just didn’t grow up with that. We couldn’t even afford cable when I growing up so I literally spent every day playing outside.

9 Likes

I got mine at 11, but my parents bought it for communication purposes because I started riding the bus. I think kids can have phones around that age, but no social media.

5 Likes

My son has a phone and got it when he was 9 and is now 11.
We lived in a bad neighborhood back in Cali so it was a safety percussion. I do limit electronic time though because if given the choice he would just watch YouTube all day.
My daughter got a tablet when she was 3 (almost 5 now) which she mostly plays educational games.
Honestly I was really apposed to letting my kids have electronics at first. I realized that I was doing them a disservice (mainly my son) because he was becoming an out cast for not being tech savvy.
Bottom line it’s a hard line to tow. Try to be as safe as you can. :purple_heart:

7 Likes

i think kids should get a phone for only texting at like 10 but then when theyre at least 13 they can have like social media and stuff. thats what im planning on doing if i have kids, my parents did things VERY differently.

4 Likes

I don’t think age should be the determining factor rather it should be the maturity of the child and what the parent can live with without compromising the values that want their children to internalize
Is the child responsible? Does the child maintain their household chores, have good grades in school, can be counted on to complete homework?
Does the child have a pleasant and respectful attitude?
I think a child under 13 can have a phone, but with caveats and responsible supervision.
To me, it’s sad to see parents using the phone/ indwelling entertainment as a babysitter and as a pacifier.

We are headed for a society whose population will have a significant number of people who are socially awkward, unable to be a healthy team member, and are unable to delay gratification.

I’m glad I didn’t have a phone growing up. I was outside doing everything- swimming, roller skating, riding bikes, playing 4 square, jump rope games, etc.

The other issue is that many if not most of the activities on an electronic device boost dopamine. Playing outside and all those activities also boost dopamine and other feel good neurotransmitters but at a slower rate. But, they last longer and are better for your brain as well as your physical health. Our bodies were designed to be active.

I’m no snoot, I smoke cigarettes- an immediate dopamine booster.

Maybe, my mom should have given me a phone at 13 instead of condoning my cigarette smoking. It’s been a battle ever since.

7 Likes

My kids didn’t have phones until they can pay for it themselves. Doing that they learn the value of hard work and getting a reward. Plus if they break it it’s their dime not mine.

5 Likes

I’ll give my kids phones when they start to need them :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I’d say if they need it then yeah, but what my parents did is they had a phone they called a ‘house phone’. We only used it for when we were home alone or if we went out with friends family etc. like a school field trip. To kind of show them if we were responsible enough. If the kid is responsible enough then yeah they could have one. But 11-14 is a good age range to give a kid a phone, in my opinion.

6 Likes

My kids had cellphones early only because they needed a way to communicate with me. Neither one used it much.
My first phone was in my 30’s and I’m kinda glad I waited. I wish I still had my old flip phone lol. Maturity is key rather then age if I’m honest on how I feel about it.

4 Likes