Question on yarn

Hi! I bought several of the wheels of wool a few years ago and honestly I tried to knit with the wool but it keeps breaking. Not sure if anyone knows if this wool need to be spun or something done to it prior to making something with it? If anyone knows I’d love feedback

5 Likes

Do you happen to remember the brand name? Since it’s wool, it looks like it could be roving wool. Roving wool is not spun, and it’s known to pull apart rather easily! In most cases, yes, it needs to be spun to be used.

3 Likes

Hi!
There’s no brand. It was sold as I put on the picture. No labels or anything like that. I think you’re right though. It needs to be spun :pensive:. Hopefully I find someone that knows how to do that! Thanks again

3 Likes

Of course, happy to help!

2 Likes

It looks like it might be a squished and distorted plottlopi plate. It’s usually knit double stranded and you can just rubbends back together to join them. I’m working on a sweater with that type of yarn right now

2 Likes

Actually it doesn’t need to be spun to be used. It’s lopi yarn and you usually knit with 2 strands. I’m knitting a sweater with yarn like that right now and once it’s knitted it makes a squishy, lofty fabric.

It’s made from wool from Icelandic sheep. They are double coated with a longer coarser outer bcoat and a diner inner coat. This yarn is made with both types, and the coarser outer coat fibers hold it together.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information. Do you have a picture of your yarn?

2 Likes

I just looked it up. Wow i can make beautiful projects with this yarn! Thank you so much for the info.
Sandra

3 Likes

So my plate of lopi looks funny because I’m pulling from inside and outside, but this is what it looks like.

I placed it next to my sleeve in progress to show how it knits up

4 Likes

You’re welcome! Make sure to moisturize your hands after working with it as it tends to suck the moisture out.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful! Thanks again. This is exciting :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m constantly moisturizing actually! I hate the feeling of dry hands🤪 not sure what I’ll make though. Something to ponder. Crochet or knitting…to be figured out!

2 Likes