Questions

Can some one tell me how you make such straight edges on granny squares

6 Likes

I believe it’s done by pinning it on a crochet/knit mat and steam blocking it, at least I think that’s how its done lol

5 Likes

I dont know what steam blockings is i hqve only been crochet for a year

3 Likes

You might need to clarify the question.
My granny squares are straight and I never block anything ever.
I think it just comes with experience and practice

5 Likes

Do you happen to have a photo or an example by what you mean by straight edges? I might not have understood the question

4 Likes

Here are some photos the grich is one i did and the edges wont go straight and the other on is the onlu photo i could find showing some straight edges

7 Likes

first things first, you are comparing apples to oranges.
the “straight edge” photo is of granny squares, and that edge is created by the top of the row that goes all the way around the square
your grinch picture is a square of crochet but not a granny square worked in the round, rather it was worked in rows back and forth so the edges you are talking about are the ends and beginnings of rows and not the tops of rounds
That being said, if your edges are not straight, there are usually 3 culprits

1. adding or removing stitches across a row, but since you have a counted chart there, it seems unlikely
  2. not properly using a turning chain, there are billions of tutorials on this online
  3. (and the one I think is happening) Your tension is uneven
    I am assuming that your color changes are pulled tighter than the rest of the work and causing those areas to draw in. This can happen by just pulling too hard when making your color change stitch or by pulling the carried yarn too tight , which can be easier to control if you use the work over carry method and not the carry behind method
9 Likes

Like grannyroomcrafts mentioned this isn’t a granny square, just a square and the reasons are probably one of the ones mentioned as for how to get it straight this video might do a better job as you can see how to do it, hopefully it helps :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Thank you for the information

6 Likes

Thanks for the information

6 Likes

I would SC around the Grinch, that will smooth out the edges… Everything looks better when it’s zipped around… Like it’s days apples to oranges

6 Likes

Thanks for the information. (this was kinda a stupid question to ask cause idk that it was not called a granny square that just ehat the person who taught me called those )

5 Likes

No such thing as a dumb question sweetie.

4 Likes

I call things the wrong name all the time because it wasn’t what I was taught a million years ago
You don’t know what you don’t know

5 Likes

My best trick is practice your tension :slight_smile: it can be a life saver!

4 Likes

Isn’t that the worst? Totally not your fault lol

did you make that Grinch? The color work is awesome! You should totally try @Farmgirlinstitches 's idea and add a boarder. It’s too cute to unravel and I think a boarder will make it look a little neater. :+1:

6 Likes

Thanks yes i did make the grinch of of this picture

6 Likes