Random Topic. What would you do if you met the inventor/s of crochet/knit? 🧶

I think if I met the inventor/s of crochet/knit I would be like hugging them and asking them so may questions abt how they came up with it and stuff like that I would probs gift them lots of yarn as well (not the expensive ones :joy:)

Anyways tell me what u would do <3
Happy crafting

12 Likes

yess i was just thinking about this a few days ago. like how did they know what type of hook was needed

6 Likes

knitting and crocheting have been around since before recorded history

7 Likes

I would definitely ask where and how the leap from their mind went into the actual craft.
We are certainly creators imitating the Creator.

6 Likes

I always assumed it evolved from knotting ropes to make fishing nets

7 Likes

Yes, and where did that leap come from?

Clean Up Ocean GIF by Project AWARE

5 Likes

My honest answer is not inclusive or neutral or whatever, but they have found Egyptian socks that were knitted nearly 2000 years ago but the knitting greatly resembles a tiny version of the tatting like method used in ancient fishing nets from that area

7 Likes

Wow!
Wonder if there is a fiber art history book

5 Likes

Who says history is not interesting and that you dont learn aomething new everyday?! Pretty cool fact!!

6 Likes

I don’t think I’d hug them given the cultural shock it would cause :sweat_smile: but from what little I know, art in general had distinct purposes: might be decorative, functional, ceremonial… I don’t remember all of them. Things such as tapestries, weaving, etc. were highly decorative and most their motifs had very strong meaning/cultural signification. Interestingly, every detail was carefully thought of and had a specific reason for it. Clothing in general tended to be more functional and be decorated based on social status and such.

One item can have more than one purpose, but in general has one main purpose that is considered above others. It goes further than that, but that’s just a very basic explanation.

5 Likes

Thank you for extending on the history class from today :heart:
I have to do more research on the topic, cause im finding it very interesting!

5 Likes

Ty u for all the replies guys crochet/knit is such a beautiful art form so the people/cultures who came up with it must be like geniuses and I definitely need to research more abt thi:D

4 Likes