Resolved: Any tips for taking pics of Crochet Items?

I was wondering if anyone has tips for taking photos of items for patterns here on ribblr. I struggle with lighting and backgrounds…I just can’t get it to look cute. Thanks so much!

13 Likes

honestly, I need tips too :sob:

4 Likes

Same :sob:

4 Likes

dude i struggle so much w this :sob: every photo i take im like “guys i swear it’s cuter in person”

4 Likes

try taking pictures outside (even if you want a normal indoor looking bg!) i take my pics outside, and just set up my bg in a chair. after taking the picture you may need to adjust the saturation, add filters etc. when taking pics outside, try to get them in sunny weather! if you do want to stay inside, though, make sure you have lights turned on/near a window.

if you need help for bg ideas, i find a couple cute blankets to use and set them up on a chair or surface. or you can alternatively sit them in a cute spot on your house etc with some little candles, cuteness.

lineart is my last tip! it brings everything together and makes it MUCH cuter, and makes the plushie stand out.

9 Likes

To start @chunkyy is so right! (I wish I could convince myself to continue with line art, but I just get lazy…)

Background: pick something that is either pretty simple or relatively uniform. You want the plushie to stand out, not the background (especially in product photography) . I’d also pick something that you can have easy access to, just to keep things uniform, but it not super necessary - depends on if it will bother you later.

Photography: natural lighting is a game changer! If ever possible take photos outside! Have your back facing the sun, and for try early mornings or overcast days; this makes for less harsh shadows on the plush. If you can’t go outside, be as close to a window as possible, again your back is facing the light source (the window). Try to avoid using your flash, most people don’t have light defusers to stop the hard shadows.

Editing: there are a lot of apps you can use, my favorites are adobe lightroom and photoroom (phone) or lightroom, luminar, and photoscape (computer). In these, you can further blur your background, sharpen your photos, mess with exposure, highlight and shadows, and so much more! Honestly this is the part that has the biggest learning curve, I suggest watching some youtube videos about the editing process just the learn what eveything does and why you want to do certian things.

7 Likes

that photography tip is so helpful! i never thought your back facing the sun would stop shadows, but there you go, you learn something everyday! next time i need to take a picture i’ll definitely be trying it out. might be the next game changer :rofl: :heart:

5 Likes

It’s something I’ve picked up for wildlife photography and now I’m constantly checking where the sun is to try and counter act it :rofl::rofl:

Although it matters less on overcast days or when your in the shade because the light is already being diffused pretty nicely by then.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! These tips are really helpful. Thanks to all of you who helped out. I love the community here!

1 Like

Some pics I took this morning, thanks to your help
I’m not really sure if they’re good or not

Coaster pattern coming soon!

2 Likes