Ribblr of the week: meet Alison (@KornflakeStew) 🏅

This week we’re thrilled to be featuring Alison (@KornflakeStew) of KornflakeStew!

Alison has over a dozen beautiful and uniquely styled animal-themed amigurumi designs on her Ribblr shop!
Scroll down to read our interview with Alison :point_down:

Hi Alison! Tell us a bit about yourself.
Hi, I’m Alison. I live in the North East of England with my partner and our 3 children.
I’ve always done lots of crafts, hand sewing, quilling, cross stitch, drawing… I could go on and on :blush:

When and how did you learn to crochet?
I learned to crochet not long after my youngest daughter was born 10 years ago. YouTube was my teacher, so many youtubers to be thankful for. I started out with simple patterns following along, pausing, rewinding, pulling it out and re-doing! I just knew straight away this was the craft for me, I loved it from day one.

And when did you start making and designing Amigurumis?
A few months down the line I came across amigurumi. I’d always had a soft spot for making toys, usually hand sewing them so amigurumi opened up a whole new world. The first time I followed along with a pattern, I actually really disliked it, I found it very tricky to get those small tight stitches, perseverance and many, many more months later I wanted to make a giraffe but couldn’t find a pattern I liked. I decided to give it a go, making it up as I went along. I posted a picture on flickr and had so, so many people ask me for the pattern. I made another giraffe, writing it down as I went along, taking pictures and my first pattern was born.

That’s amazing! What inspires you? :bulb:
I absolutely love designing cute and quirky animals. I have lots and lots of sketchbooks filled with ideas waiting to be brought to life, I just wish I had more pairs of hands, or didn’t need any sleep! Inspiration comes from all over, I love childrens illustrations, all kinds of art, nature, the seasons, and of course pinterest and Instagram are great for browsing through.
A few years ago I was lucky enough to be asked to write a crochet book, I jumped at the chance to have my very own book with Tuva publishing, Cutest crochet creations, its something I will always be proud of.

And what are you working on right now?
I’m working on at the time and right now I’m designing a sheep. Its fun to think up the different ways he can be made and the yarns I could use. Lets face it, choosing the yarn is one of the best bits :blush:

Any favorite song you’d like to recommend? :notes:
My favourite song is anything by Florence and the machine.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love that you can upload unlimited media to Ribblr patterns. Photo’s videos and even audio clips. This is going to be very useful.

And finally - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr!
I was so pleased to see MYPZ official (@MYPZ) on Ribblr, I love their bright and colourful knits.

Thank you so much for sharing Alison! It’s great to learn more about you :purple_heart:
Check out KornflakeStew shop:

Want more? Check out our previous Ribblr of the week posts!

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus win our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Comment below and let us know which of KornflakeStew designs is your favorite!

14 Likes

So cool! I really do love them all, but if I have to pick one favourite I’ll probably go for :koala: !

1 Like

It’s so nice to get to know you @KornflakeStew !
I also learned to crochet on Youtube, and was so bad when I started,but I still totally loved it, and with time and experience you get better!

I’m totally with you on that! I always get inspired right before bed, and then I can’t fall asleep because my brain is flooded with ideas! Who needs sleep anyway?? :laughing:

2 Likes

Where would we be without YouTube? That’s how I learned Tunisian crochet:). Love your patterns; they’re so distinctive!

2 Likes

Haha! Yes! Me too, then in the morning I’m too tired to do any crochet :joy:

1 Like

I know right! Aww thank you! Tunisian crochet is awesome, I love how relaxing it is :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

KornflakeStew is my favourite :heart_eyes::smile::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Scraps the Dog!

1 Like