Ribblr of the Week: Meet Celeste! 🏅

Say hello to Celeste (@CrochetChameleon) the designer behind TheCrochetChameleon, and our Ribblr of the week!

Hey! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi, I’m Celeste and my shop is The Crochet Chameleon, @the_crochet_chameleon on Instagram! I design and sell cute crochet plushies. I’m a college student pursuing a biology major with a focus on microbiology and molecular genetics. I’m very fond of frogs, floral print, and green tea. When I’m not crocheting, you can find me tending to my plants, watching NFL football, or playing board games with my friends!

Nice to meet you! :wave:
So when did you start crafting and how?
As a kid I dabbled in a lot of different crafts; I’ve done drawing, felting, knitting, sewing, and more. Around when I was in middle school my grandma taught me how to crochet. I didn’t stick with it initially, but pretty soon I picked it back up and started crocheting gifts for my friends and family. Eventually, I began making enough plushies that I realized I could build a business based on crocheting!

Oh, wow! Do you have a favorite craft type?
At this point it’s definitely crocheting, haha! I just love the versatility of this craft; you can crochet flat to make decor and clothing or crochet in the round to make plushies and other 3D shapes. The variety of plushies I’ve seen other creators design is astonishing, and that’s why I love crocheting!

So how did you start designing?
Once I had followed enough crochet patterns, I had a grasp of the basic amigurumi shapes that can be combined in different ways to make plushie patterns. So, in high school I tried my hand at designing and made a chameleon plushie! That plushie is the namesake for my business :slight_smile:

What was the longest project you worked on?
I made a honeycomb blanket during my last two years of high school by crocheting a ton of hexagons in a few different shades of yellow and then crocheting them together. Crocheting all those hexagons took forever, and joining them all together wasn’t an easy feat either, but the end product is lovely so it was well worth the time!

That sounds incredible! How about the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
Hmm, last week I crocheted a quick mini octopus using a free pattern by @mohustore on Instagram and it took less than half an hour! I’ve made a bunch of other minis that probably took about the same amount of time.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :sweat_smile:
I actually only have one WIP right now just because school is too busy for me to have more than one! Right now I’m working on a bear in a bee costume pattern test for teeslibrary. Super excited to see how it turns out, it’s such a cute pattern!

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
I’m most proud of my giraffe design because I designed it in medium weight yarn years ago, then spent a couple months occasionally tweaking the pattern to make it work for blanket yarn. The giraffe turns out so tall and proud in blanket yarn and I just love it so much!

What is your usual process of designing?
I sketch out the plushie I want to design and then start crocheting! I write out my pattern on a small legal pad as I crochet, using pencil so I can erase and rewrite as needed. I take pictures of tricky parts of the design as I go so I can include them in the pattern. Next, I type up the pattern and get it tested by other crocheters. Then, I make my final edits and release the pattern to the public!

What inspires you to create and design?
Lots of things! My friends and fellow crocheters inspire me about what to crochet next. Doodles and cute animal pictures help inspire my designs, and the wonderful crochet community on Instagram inspires me to keep making and sharing my plushies!

That’s awesome!
And now for some pop culture. Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Very, very into the song Memories by Conan Gray right now. It’s beautiful but also a bop!

Care to share a funny story that happened to you recently?
I was moving back into my dorm for the semester and had brought too much crochet supplies of course. My yarn bag kept tipping over and all my balls of yarn started running away down the hill. Some yarn also spilled out in the elevator and in the hallway, I picked it all up again but my friend and I couldn’t stop laughing :joy:

**That sounds hilarious! **
What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I really love how you can interact with the patterns as you work on them. It’s nice to be able to just cross off rounds that you’ve finished instead of having to keep track with a row counter!

Lastly, pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
I love love love everything by @harucrochets! I adore how quickly their froggee pattern works up and it’s one of the first patterns I ever used on Ribblr! I also recently tested a chunky ducky pattern for them that is absolutely adorable! Highly recommend everything in their shop :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing! :purple_heart:

Don’t forget to check out the TheCrochetChameleon shop​:point_down:

Want more?
Check out our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

29 Likes

Congratulations!

10 Likes

Congratulations!!! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:
Happy Cartoon GIF by Molang

9 Likes

Congrats on ROTW! :partying_face:

8 Likes

Congrats! :clap:

8 Likes

Congrats :tada:

7 Likes

I’m always so excited for ROTW! I get to see more amazing patterns by amazing fiber artists, congrats @CrochetChameleon

8 Likes

congrats! we have a lot in common when it comes to crafting :relaxed:

7 Likes

Thank you so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Aww thank you! That’s so cool :blush:

7 Likes

Congratulations!!

7 Likes

Congrats! Already favorited a pattern :heart::sparkles:
People Applause GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

Congrats

7 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!! I hope you found all your yarn and supplies that got loose :flushed::sweat_smile::relaxed:

6 Likes

Party Love GIF by sendwishonline.com

4 Likes