Ribblr of the Week: Meet Chloe 🏅

Say hello to Chloe (@Pandalandcrafts) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind Panda Land Crafts!

Hey! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi, I’m Chloe!
I run Panda Land Crafts!
I started with a small idea, I wanted to write a pattern for a hat, and share it for the world to see! When I launched the pattern, I had no idea it would receive hundreds of downloads! As an Asian American, I would look through the community and try to find someone like me. It was hard, I only found a few creators that looked like me, and it was a little discouraging. I’m also plus size, I would struggle to find patterns that would fit and would cry because I would find something I wanted to make but couldn’t.
As a designer, I try to make sure I make designs that will last and not go out of style in a matter of months. I blend a bit of older fashion, which is timeless amongst some modern trends!
We are also VERY size inclusive! Sizes XS-5XL and I am working on expanding to 6XL.

When did you start crafting and how?
My desire to knit started when I finished reading a little house on the prairie book, which was when I was very young, so my mom taught me to finger knit! I always had a desire to craft, my whole life I’ve been gluing sequins to bobby pins or trying to knit with chopsticks or pencils, I started finger knitting when I was about 5 or so and picked up knitting with knitting needles when I was 15, I started crocheting at 13! I learned to crochet from a friend at a sleepover! I admired her ability to create things or make her own clothes.

And how did you start designing?
I started when I was 14, and started writing patterns when I was 16, which was just 3 years ago. I noticed there was a gap in designers for specific patterns, like some simple things, like hats or even a simple scarf. I started just Messing around and making some random stuff, like my first pattern, the Mr. Smeee Hat, when it was being tested it was a mess, but it has the most downloads. I started to realize that there is a LARGE gap of size-inclusive patterns, it was very discouraging, so I decided to fill the gap. It was hard to start but once I got my grove, I never looked back.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I LOVE water coloring or knitting. Both give me the freedom to create things. With watercolor, I can create places that only I can imagine.

That’s so awesome!
With that in mind, what was the longest project you worked on?
It has to be a cabled sweater I’ve been working on for two years…

WOW! Sounds amazing.
And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
The shortest has to be my Mr.Smeee hat. It took only an hour to complete.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :wink:
I honestly have lost count, on the safe side of guesses, I’m going to say anywhere between 15 and 20. I get mad at one, and then start a new one…

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
My proudest make must be my Christmas stocking patten! I made it for a swap I take part of every year.

What is your usual process of designing?
It s a strange process, normally I will see a gap in some category, like ill want something but I cant find the pattern, so ill make it!

What inspires you to create & design?
Classic knitwear, I love old classic Hollywood, as well as vintage looks with a touch of modern design. I like simple with a hint of complicated patterns, or simple design to make them looks elegant and classy.

Pop culture time! :notes:
Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?

I HIGHLY recommend the song, Merry Christmas Baby, by Kelly Clarkson, it has been on repeat for Months.

Care to share a funny story that happened to you recently?
I currently work in a residential home, as a cleaner. One day I was talking with one of the residents, who’s in her 70s, and found out that she LOVED Harry Styles, she is Harry’s biggest Fan. I was so shocked; it was the best part of my week.

That’s such a great story! :star_struck:
What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite feature is the trending carousel, it gives me so much more exposure to more people.

Awesome! And finally - pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
@kreaida. Their designs are THE BEST!!!

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out Panda Land Crafts!:point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

24 Likes

Ive added your hat to my wish list for later when mine reset

Im glad to read im not the only one who gets mad when working on something xx

6 Likes

Congrats! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the week! :tada:

6 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!!! And oved the story btw. Who doesn’t love Harry lol

5 Likes

Well, I don’t like Harry Potter. :eyes:

5 Likes

Lol well this made me cackle

5 Likes

Cackle cackle
Snow White Witch GIF by Disney+

4 Likes

Congrats on ribblr of the week!

5 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!! :partying_face::star_struck: I loved Little House on the Prairie when I was little :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

rereading this story on here and currently got me thinking about that little old lady who went to the grammys and was a HUGE harry fan lol her reaction to him winning song of the year was so cute!

3 Likes