Ribblr of the week: Meet Emma! 🏅

Say hello to Emma (@alaskacrochet) of Alaska Crochet, our Ribblr of the week!

Hi Emma! Tell us a little about yourself. :wave:
I’m born and raised in Interior Alaska and just graduated with my English degree! Besides crocheting, I love to read, write, and ski. I actually have 4 published pieces of writing in various journals so far. I’m a baker at a local shop in Fairbanks but I’m getting closer to being able to crochet and design patterns full time which is very exciting.

When did you start crafting and how?
I learned to crochet when I was 14. I was in the hospital and struggling, but an old woman named Dorothy taught me to single crochet and granny square and I started making huge blankets for my family. It was (and is) a great coping skill and use of my time! I took a break but got back into it during quarantine last year and haven’t stopped.

And how did you start designing?
I had so many requests for a pattern and just for advice on how to make my patchwork sweaters. I didn’t really have time to individually give that to people, so I wrote the pattern. It was a huge learning curve but now I love writing them and seeing what people make.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Definitely crochet! I can now just knit and purl (really slowly) when knitting, but I love the speed and look of crochet.

What was the longest project you worked on?
When I first learned to crochet, I made a full (queen?) sized blanket for my little brother entirely out of single crochet. I was still pretty slow then too.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
I made a lot of small earrings last summer. I could whip them out in 10-20 minutes!

What’s the most recent project you’ve worked on?
I’m currently trying out a cat bag with the same pattern base as my cat sweater, so I’m working through that in shades of green.

What is your usual process of designing?
I tend to freehand crochet projects like sweaters or bags, making notes as I go. These are for myself or to sell. I usually don’t make something into a pattern unless I get requests to do so. I have made a few planned patterns, but the spontaneous projects → patterns are the most popular.

What would you say inspires you to create/design?
I like to find color schemes on Pinterest and book covers, recreate clothes that aren’t knit/crocheted, or make something that I want but can’t find! I’m also inspired every day by other fiber artists on Instagram.

Any favorite song, book, or movie you would like to recommend?
Life of the Party by Olivia Gatwood is my favorite poetry collection and I recommend it to everyone!

Share a funny story that happened to your recently :sweat_smile:
This may be more happy than funny, but I had been slowing down my yarn purchases and not searching my regular secondhand apps. I finally got back on Poshmark and searched for yarn and found fourteen new skeins of Wool and the Gang The Petite Wool! I bought them instantly… ending my purchase hiatus.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
It may be small, but I love being able to count my rows easily inside of the pattern. :slight_smile:

Finally, Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
ID KNIT THAT! I cannot recommend Kendall’s patterns enough for beginning (and intermediate) knitters and crocheters.

Thank you for sharing Emma! :purple_heart:

Check out Emma’s shop:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Comment below with your questions and compliments for Emma! :blush:

10 Likes