Ribblr of the Week: Meet Jade! 🏅

Say hello to Jade (@Annsclst) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind Annsclst!

Tell us a little about yourself :wave:
I’m Jade Ann Gibbs, owner & creator of Ann’s Closet. Originally from Brooklyn, New York, now based in Atlanta, Georgia, I spend most of my time creating original crochet garments, patterns and tutorials to inspire other crocheters to explore the world of crocheting clothing. As a child, I spent tons of time with my grandmother Ann Gibbs, learning how to crochet & knit. When she passed in 2020, I wanted to do something to memorialize her. That inspired me to create Anns Closet. I am immensely grateful to have learned such an amazing skill from such an amazing woman & I am honored to be able to spend my time learning more and more about this craft each day.

When did you start crafting and how?
My grandmother, Ann Gibbs, taught me how to crochet and knit when I was about 10 years old. As a child, I did not really appreciate the skill but as I grew older, I started to appreciate it more and more. After college I started to pick it up more in order to help my mental health & I really just wanted to make cute outfits for myself.

And how did you start designing?
I started learning more and more about pattern design at the end of 2020. I was posting the outfits I was making for myself & I kept getting comments with people asking me for a pattern. That peaked my curiosity because I wanted other people to easily recreate my designs without having to constantly make youtube tutorials, which can take hours and hours of editing.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why? :face_with_monocle:
Despite me being an avid crocheter, knitting is actually my favorite craft type. I love how simple it is and the look of the stitches. I learned how to knit before learning how to crochet so it has a special place in my heart.

That’s awesome!
With that in mind, what was the longest project you worked on?

The longest piece I’ve worked on was a blanket that my grandmother started and did not finish before she passed. It took months to finish because it was extremely intricate & and was a bit of an emotional project. It was the most rewarding project I’ve worked on.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
The shortest one was a christmas tree ornament I made recently. It was a mini yarn bin! I’m actually releasing a pattern and youtube tutorial for it this month!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I’m currently working on a Christmas sweater. Sweaters are my least favorite thing to make because of how long they can take & this one is a doozy! I have 4 WIP right now and I promise I will finish them all.

Which of your makes/designs are you most proud of?
I’m most proud of the two blankets I’ve made, One was knit & chunky. It is king sized and I was able to finish it in 3 days! The other was the crochet blanket my grandmother started that I mentioned previously. Both are my prized possessions.

What is your usual process of designing?
I usually have a vision of something I want to create & just get to work. I also am getting into the habit of taking notes while i’m working so that creating the pattern will be easier.

What inspires you to create/design?
I truly feel like I am keeping my grandmother’s legacy alive by creating. It fulfills the void in me that losing her created within me.

That’s really sweet and inspirational!
And now for some pop culture. Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend? :closed_book:

I recently read a book called All About Love by Bell Hooks. It was one of the most amazing books I’ve ever read. I would want every living person to read that book! The book My Grandmother’s Hands by Resmaa Menakem was also an amazing read.

Care to share a funny story that happened to you recently?
Recently while traveling I had my bag flagged and looked through because of my neck light and crochet hook handle called a chunky boy. TSA thought it was something extremely inappropriate because of the shape of my chunky boy. I had to explain to them that it helps my hands not cramp up while I crochet & the need for a neck light lol.

That’s hilarious! :joy:
What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?

The pattern building software. The fact that I can copy and paste an existing pattern into the system & have the pattern written out perfectly, step by step is a game changer!

Lastly, pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
My favorite fellow Ribblr is @Mrsmoonheaven! She is my internet crochet sister & her designs are amazing!

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out Annsclst shop :point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

24 Likes

loved reading this! Thanks for sharing @Annsclst - emotional and inspiring. Happy holidays!

9 Likes

congratulations!!!

8 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!! I loved learning about you, and the story about your grandmother and her blanket tugs at the heartstrings :two_hearts::pleading_face:

5 Likes

Congrats! :clap:

7 Likes

6 Likes

Party Love GIF by sendwishonline.com

6 Likes

Congrats on Ribblr of the Week!! :tada:

5 Likes

congrats on ROTW!! i absolutely love your patterns :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Congratulations Congrats GIF by Goldfish

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing with us! It’s so great to hear that you’ve kept your grandmother alive with your work.

3 Likes

It’s lovely to read more about you and be well introduced! :relaxed:

5 Likes

Happy Jennifer Aniston GIF

3 Likes