Ribblr of the Week - Meet Kirsten! 🏅

Say hello to Kirsten (@TheYarnArts) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind The Yarn Arts!

Hey! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi, I’m Kirsten! I have been passionate about crocheting for over 10 years now. I love animals and have 2 sweet dogs, Wally and Sophie! I am an avid runner and also love working out in the gym. My favorite thing to do to relax is sit on the couch watching TV with a cup of tea and a crochet project!

When did you start crafting and how?
I taught myself to crochet around 2008! Years earlier my mom had taken me to a knitting class, but I didn’t follow-through with practice. About 5 years later I decided I wanted to learn to crochet and knit, so I watched some videos and got started! I have dozens of scarves from my early years.

And how did you start designing?
I started designing less than a year ago, about the same time as I started my small business, The Yarn Arts. I wanted to have unique items to offer in my shop, so I designed The Little Yarn Friends and wrote the processes down in a small notebook. I slowly started to type up those patterns and design others. I first tried a tester call via Instagram and have learned so much from the design process! My favorite part of the process is meeting other crocheters! You can find 6 of The Little Yarn Friends designs in my Ribblr shop for free!

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
My favorite craft type is definitely crochet! I learned it much easier than knitting and sewing, but I’m still working on both of those too. Crochet is now a form of relaxation for me, so it’s a huge part of my life.This past year I have started to make more crochet clothing and I love it!

What was the longest project you worked on?
A pair of crochet pants I did as a test for another artist (geha.creations on Instagram)! I used size 1 yarn and a 2.25mm hook to make myself pants - it took such a long time, but I am in love with the result!

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
The Christmas Tree Buddy by @skivercreations! It took about 15 minutes and is so cute!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :sweat_smile:
I have trouble focusing on a single thing at once, so I always seem to have at least 4 projects going at the same time! I currently have tendonitis, so my WIPs have to stay untouched for a while :frowning: But when I can crochet again I will be working on my many different-colored cows by @nawijkicrochet. That is one of my favorite patterns, the cow is so cute!

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
I am proud of all of my makes and designs, but my favorite has to be the earth elemental dragonfly! It’s the most intricate project I have done and designed and I am so happy with the result! It took a while to figure out how to make the body no-sew and get the legs and eyes placement to line up.

What is your usual process of designing?
I usually get an idea in my head, write it down in a note on my phone so I don’t forget, then grab my yarn and start figuring out the shaping. I keep a small notebook next to me when I start the design process and write down my steps in pencil in case I have to frog anything. Then when I finish I use my notes to remake the project and be sure it comes out the same. After that it’s time for a tester call!

What inspires you to create?
So many things! I am inspired by nature, fantasy (including video games and fantasy creatures), holidays, television, and loved ones. When I get an idea I have to write it down so I don’t forget! Then I come back when I’m ready and start to create!

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Right now I am very into all things Witcher! I love the TV show and have read 5 of the books so far as well as started playing the video game. If anyone loves the show, I highly recommend the books!

Share a funny story that happened to you recently! :joy:
Almost every day I think I lose my darning needle! I still never remember that it’s either in my hand or just fell on my lap lol! I now have at least 4 darning needles in different rooms so I can always find one if my current one ends up “lost”.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love all of the amazing features, but my favorite feature on Ribblr is definitely the ability to cross out a row or round you have already completed! I have recommended Ribblr to others for this feature alone. It is so useful, especially for projects where you repeat the same thing for more than 10 rows/rounds! I also think that feature is perfect for people just starting to learn crochet or knitting. It’s so hard to know how many rows or rounds you’ve done when you are just learning.

Finally, pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
There are several Ribblrs I would like to shoutout! I will give a shoutout to a few here - @lunitallunera, @amimommyboutique, and @artplantstudio.

Thank you for sharing! :purple_heart:

Check out The Yarn Arts shop :point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

22 Likes

@TheYarnArts Congrats on ROTW!! :partying_face::tada: I loved learning about you! It seems I’m not the only one who has problems finding my yarn needles :sweat_smile::joy:

5 Likes

Congrats!!

6 Likes

Thanks so much!! Yes, always losing them! Have to have a special needle stash too :laughing:

5 Likes

Thank you!

6 Likes

I thought the dragonfly was unique and well done!

6 Likes

Thank you so much! :heart:

5 Likes

Aww congrats Kirsten!!! Your Earth elemental dragonfly is still one of the coolest patterns I’ve seen, and I so admire your work as a designer (and maker)! So fun to learn more about you and super relatable about the needles :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Congrats! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks so much! I am glad you like the design! :heart: Losing needles is such a struggle lol!

5 Likes

Thank you!

6 Likes

Congrats! I love your work :grin: Thanks for the shout-out :hugs:

7 Likes

Congratulationssss :yarn: you deserve it so much!! I love your creations and designs, i struggle at losing my needles too​:rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Congratulations!

7 Likes

Congrats on the ROTW. Great to learn more about u! I remember this time I was sewing a leg or something and I bent my needle then a few minutes after I was getting all stressed cause I thought I lost it but it was right next to me. Lol

Anyways… keep being awesome :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thanks! Love your work too!

6 Likes

Thank you so much!! :heart: Always losing my needles lol!

5 Likes

Thank you!

6 Likes

congrats!

7 Likes

Lol happens to me too! :laughing: Thank you very much!!!

5 Likes