Ribblr of the Week - Meet Tobey 🏅

Say hello to Tobey (@tobeytimecrochet)- our new Ribblr of the Week and the designer behind TobeyTimeCrochet]

Tell us a little about yourself
My name is Tobey, I’m 47 years old and I live in South Texas. I’m a full time hairstylist, mom of two and I enjoy crocheting and knitting in my free time. I love sharing my makes on social media and interacting with so many wonderful people in the craft community.

When did you start crafting and how?
I didn’t start crafting until I was in my late 30’s. I had just quit my job to become a stay at home mom and it was the perfect opportunity to pick up a new hobby. I wanted to make things for my daughter so I watched YouTube tutorials and learned how to crochet. I started off with baby hats and blankets but I soon fell in love with amigurumi.

And how did you start designing?
I started designing in 2020. I had an idea for a sitting doll and I decided to write my very first pattern. I made a lot of mistakes but I learned so much from the process and from the feedback I received from other crocheters.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Crocheting amigurumi is my absolute favorite and most satisfying craft. I have crocheted blankets, accessories and home goods but for some reason I was really good at amigurumi. I love the instant gratification I get from a quick cute project.

What has been the most memorable project you worked on?
My most memorable project I worked on was the Bernie’s Mittens crochet doll. The pictures of the doll I posted on the internet had a little viral moment so I listed the doll on Ebay for Charity. The winning bid was over $20,000 and Ebay for Charity matched it. 100% was donated to Meals on Wheels America.

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now?
I have so many wips I lost count. I don’t even feel bad about it. I really enjoy the excitement I feel when I find a new pattern, shop for new yarn and start a new project.

What is your usual process of designing?
When I have an idea for a design, the first thing I do is bounce my ideas off my crochet bestie and then we search the internet to see just how original the idea is. If there isn’t anything like it already in existence then I will draw it out and write up a rough draft. Then I shop for the best yarn for the project and begin making it. I will edit the rough draft as I go.

What inspires you to create/design?
I am inspired by the talent and creativity of other designers. But honestly, I create and design because it feels good and I live by my feelings. I’m definitely drawn to sentimental or comforting type projects. I love to make things that will make someone feel loved.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My absolute favorite feature on Ribblr is being able to mark off each row as I go. I sometimes have to stop and go or multi-task while crocheting and not losing track of rounds is awesome!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
My favorite designers on Ribblr are @Eandccraft and @TheKnottyBoss. At the moment I am obsessed with all things chicken and Squawk the Ugly Chicken Pattern and Polka Dots Amigurumi Chicken Pattern are next on my must make list! I will also forever love the Knotjadedco leggy froggy pattern. I love EandCcrafts washcloths especially the Double Nubby Washcloth.

Thanks so much for being here this week Tobey, it’s a pleasure reading about you!

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out [TobeyTimeCrochet]

16 Likes

Congrats on ROTW!

2 Likes

Congrats! I’m following you and I LOVE ur patterns! Wish you the best for your shop <3

1 Like

Congratulations @tobeytimecrochet ! <3

1 Like

Nice reading about you. I was following along with your Bernie doll on Ebay charity. I made a keychain Bernie glove. Maybe I should list that pattern here.

1 Like

Congrats @tobeytimecrochet! I have seen your patterns and I love them! I really like your jumbo candies and I have some of them on my wishlist! And yes, of course I’ve seen your Bernie Sanders doll before!:yellow_heart: I am following as well!

1 Like