Ribblr of the week: Meet Sarah (aka Fanatical Fibers) 🏅

A new week, a new Ribblr of the week! :star_struck:

Say hello to Sarah (@FanaticalFibers) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind Fanatical Fibers!

Hi Sarah! Tell us a little about you. :wave:
My name is Sarah and I am a 28-year-old fiber artist who loves all things art and crafting. I live in Wisconsin with my cat Sammy and plant babies. I’ve been knitting for 16 years and crocheting for 11.

When did you start crafting and how?
I’ve loved crafting and diy my whole life, and always enjoyed making handmade items for people. When I was 17, a close friend and I became obsessed with an amazing movie called “9” so I wanted to make him a doll from the movie as a present. I found a free pattern for it on a blog, poured over hours of YouTube tutorials and figured it out as I went.

That’s really cool! And how did you start designing?
I started designing original items when friends and family started requesting specific character hats and other garments. I usually couldn’t find a pattern for what they wanted, so I would have to fly by the seat of my pants and make up patterns as I went.

Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
I would have to say my favorite craft type is crocheting amigurumi, hands down. I love watching an amigurumi piece quickly come to life. Plus, they are just so cute and fun.

Speaking of Amigurumis - what are you working on now?
My most recent project was a Squeakoid amigurumi plush inspired by Animal Crossing. It was a donation for an Anti-Racism auction and fundraiser where 100% of the profits go to BIPOC and Indigenous organizations and charities.

That’s fantastic! Well done :clap:
What were the longest and shortest projects you’ve worked on?

My longest project was probably a granny square blanket I made. It took me 7 years, mostly because I procrastinated connecting all the squares.
The shortest project I’ve ever made was probably the Emotional Support Mushroom- it probably took me about 20 or 30 minutes to make from start to finish.

Which of your makes are you most proud of?
I am probably most proud of my newest Krampus redesign. I used to make them a lot in a different style, and after quite a few years I decided to remake it in the Chonky style I’ve developed. I really love the way it turned out, and it’s so fun to see how my style has changed and my skills have improved over the years. It can be so easy sometimes to compare yourself to others, but when you can compare you to yourself and see even the tiniest improvement, there is no greater feeling.

What inspires you to create?
I draw a lot of inspiration from the world around me (even if it’s a fictional one from a video game or movie). I’ve always loved nature, so naturally a lot of my designs are inspired by plants and animals. My followers and customers give me a lot of inspiration too. They have really awesome and unique ideas- some of which I couldn’t contrive in a million years.

And what is your usual process of designing?
I usually start with an idea or a suggestion from one of my awesome followers on Tik Tok or Instagram. I sketch it out on paper and breakdown all the parts into shapes and plan out how to make each piece. Around the halfway point, I start to feel like it won’t turn out and it takes a near miracle for me to not frog the entire thing and start over. I have to tell myself a lot to trust the process a lot.

Any favorite song you would like to recommend? :musical_note:
Oh gosh, my music taste is all over the map. But lately I’ve really been loving Good Vibes by GriZ- it’s a great song to start my day off on the right track. I usually play it in the morning, but it’s really great when you need motivation for just about anything.

We’d love to know - what is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite Ribblr feature is definitely the ability to cross off rows as you complete them. I have ADHD and I lose track of things a lot, so that feature is super helpful.

Lastly- Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr!
@crochetbykaylee is one of my favorite Ribblrs. Her patterns are absolutely adorable and amazing and she is always so helpful when I need some creative advice :blush: !

Thank you for sharing Sarah! :purple_heart:

Check out the Fanatical Fibers shop :point_down:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

What is your favorite Fanatical Fibers pattern and why? :yarn:

11 Likes