Ribblr of the week: Say hello to Lauren (aka LAD)! 🏅

Just a few days ago we announced that Lauren Aston Designs joined Ribblr so you can all enjoy her beautiful designs in the interactive & accessible Ribblr ePattern format.

And today, we’re SUPER excited to introduce you to Lauren of LAD - our new Ribblr of the week!

logo

Hi Lauren, it’s great to have you with us! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! I’m Lauren, I live in Devon UK with my husband, new baby, and dog Harry and I have run Lauren Aston Designs for 6 years. It started with just me sat in my loft knitting giant blankets and has grown to 8 of us in a studio designing clothing and home accessory knit kits.

That’s fantastic! When did you start crafting and how?
My Nan taught me to knit when I was 11. I wasn’t convinced at first but I spent a few more years practising, plus a degree in knitwear to really cement my love for it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That is really inspiring. So would you say Knitting is your favorite craft?
Well it has to be, it’s what I do for a living! Even though it’s work, it doesn’t really feel like it. I love designing new patterns and there’s always something new to learn when it comes to knitting too. It’s also really addictive!

So how did you start designing?
I designed a number of pieces as part of my knitwear degree, but it was only when we moved to Devon with my husband’s job that I started designing with the aim of launching my own business. Back then all my designs were knit with giant yarn, because it was relatively unknown here in the UK. It’s since grown in popularity and so now I’ve expanded to smaller knits which has allowed the business to grow in so many different ways I didn’t think possible when I first started.

What’s it like to design patterns? Is there a particular design that was easier to make?
I started designing knitwear about three years ago and I honestly think one of the first designs – the Dreamy Oversized Cardigan, was one of my quickest. I knew exactly what I wanted it to be like, and I got it right straight away. It’s not a quick project in that it knits up quick – but it was a quick design project in comparison to many of my others. It also continues to be our most popular pattern & kit by a mile!

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
My most recent favourite has to be the Roll up Knit Down rainbow Jumper. I adore it, and it’s a super quick knit – I’ve also knit it in Scarlet & Candyfloss stripes which is probably one of my all time favourite combinations of colours!

What was the longest project you worked on?
A few years ago I was commissioned to make a giant knitted teapot for the west end – that was a BIG project! Not only did I have to design something that would suit the stage design, I had to knit it in pieces and then it had to be constructed in situ. It was incredible to be part of but I’m not sure I’d be brave enough to do it again!

And what’s the most recent project you’ve worked on?
I’ve always got ideas of what I want to design next, as it’s important to keep the business updated with new products, so it’s very rare you’ll find me without a project in hand! Although I’m currently on maternity leave having just had my first child so knitting has just taken a back step – however I did sneak one last design in before leaving. It’s still a secret as we’ve not launched it yet…!

Finally, we’d love to know - what is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love that you can go through a pattern and highlight an abbreviation you’re not sure about and up pops a ‘how to’ video straight away, to talk you through. Saves hopping over to youtube every five minutes to check on how a stitch is created. I think it’s genius!

Thank you so much for sharing, Lauren. It’s a pleasure to learn more about you and the stories behind the designs.

LAD shop:

Want more? Check out our previous Ribblr of the week posts!

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus win our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Which of Lauren’s patterns would you love to make?

7 Likes

I love all the colorful designs. So great to learn more about you Lauren and congratulations on your baby! :blush:

1 Like

I’ve made a Button (Kn)it Up cardigan and I love it–the Drop it from the Top Down jumper is next in my queue, I’ve got some delicious Manos del Uruguay yarn stashed away for it :smiley:

2 Likes

Congratulations!! I LOVE this cable knit design! :purple_heart:

This is on my list for when I feel more confident with my knitting skills :sweat_smile:

1 Like