Ribblr of the week: Say hello to Sara! šŸ…

Say hi to Sara (@BirdzofaFeather) - our Ribblr of the week and the designer behind Birdz of a Feather.

Sara_Birdz of a Feather

Hi Sara! Tell us a little about yourself.
Iā€™m Sara. I live just outside of Toronto, Canada with my husband. Although my husband works full time, he helps me create DIY content for our blog Birdz of a Feather. This year, weā€™re taking time away from blogging to raise money for Alzheimers disease in memory of our momā€™s. Weā€™ll be donating 100% of all sales on Ribblr to help turn the tides of this dreadful disease. The Kayla pillow is our signature design to launch our fundraising efforts.

That is wonderful! How and when did you start crafting?
I think I may have been cradling scissors when I emerged from the womb. I canā€™t remember not crafting! Both my mom and grandmother taught me how to knit and crochet when I was six. My mom also taught me how to sew.

Which type of craft is your favorite?
I love to knit and crochet because itā€™s so portable that it can travel with you anywhere. I even brought a knitting project with me on a date once when I was young - thatā€™s how much I love it. Luckily I gave up that habit before I met my husband!

Thatā€™s true dedication! :sweat_smile: When did you start designing?
I trained as a fashion designer so started designing knitwear when I was a student. My love for crochet was reignited a year ago when I noticed Amigurumi trending on Pinterest. By then, my momā€™s Alzheimers had progressed to the point where she could no longer do crochet or knitting. So I borrowed some of her vintage hooks and designed my first Amigurumi piece - Gabriola frog.

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
Iā€™m most proud of the Kayla pillow because itā€™s my first Tunisian crochet piece ever and am happy with how it turned out. Gabriola frog is the Amigurumi piece I adore most because sheā€™s so full of personality (and you just never know where sheā€™s going to pop up)!

What was the longest project you worked on?
The Kayla Pillow has been the longest project because I first had to teach myself how to Tunisian crochet. Then, when I was confident with my design, I crocheted it half a dozen times to perfect it before posting it on Ribblr. As the first of hopefully many designs to raise money for Alzheimers, Itā€™s a project that couldnā€™t be rushed.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
My favourite song is ā€œIf I had a Million Dollarsā€ by the Bare Naked Ladies.

Share a funny story that happened to your recently
My husband and I were filming a project for our blog on how to install a luxury vinyl floor. Just before we started filming, I asked my husband to put on a belt. Since weā€™d be bending over the work I didnā€™t want any ā€˜butt crackā€™ incidents on film. He agreed, but wouldnā€™t you know? It turns out I was the worst offender: we lost our best footage because I didnā€™t heed my own advice! :rofl:

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
I love everything about the ePattern because it saves paper and allows me to post video with tutorials every with every stitch and step if I like! Birdz of a Feather is all about green living (because good planets are hard to find) so saving resources really resonates with me!

Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr
Iā€™d like to shout out the Ribblr team for putting up with all my questions pre-launch and @Fiercehook. Nicole has been so generous with her time in helping me.

Thank you so much for sharing Sara!
You can find all of Saraā€™s designs on her shop:

Comment below, say hi to Sara and ask your questions.

Want more? Check out our previous Ribblr of the week posts!

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus win our special Ribblr of the week gold badgešŸ…)

8 Likes

What a wonderful way to honour your Mothers, Iā€™m sure they would both be very proud of your creations and your donations.

2 Likes

Hi Sara!
Nice to meet you and learn more about you. I completely agree with @WaratahLife - itā€™s truly a wonderful thing youā€™re doing.

2 Likes

Nice to meet you! I love the Barenaked Ladies too haha. And WOW, that is amazing what you are doing in honor of your mom.

1 Like

Nice to meet you, Sara ! Lovely pillow pattern, and I think itā€™s great youā€™ll be using it to raise funds for Alzheimers. :+1: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Marjan, nice to meet you too!

1 Like