Ribblr of the week: say hi to An! 🏅

Hi Ribblrs! Say hello to An (@vonguyenthuyan) of I Will Crochet - our Ribblr of the week!

Hi An! Tell us a little about yourself. :wave:
Hello there! My name is An, and I am 22 years old! I am from Vietnam but have been living in The Netherlands for more than 4 years now.

When did you start crafting and how?
I started to crochet around more than 2 years ago, when I was on my internship to Abu Dhabi. I remember being so lonely there because I was only there for 6 months and I didn’t know a lot of people. That’s when I thought I needed a hobby that can keep my head off things. Random enough, I chose crochet. I kind of forgot about it when I was back to my normal life here. But then the pandemic hit, and I have been completely hooked on crocheting ever since (pun intended).

And how did you start designing?
Again, I was on my internship earlier this year and yet again, I felt lonely being in a new city. I thought maybe I should try something new by not following patterns but actually designing my own this time.

That’s incredible! Is Crochet your main craft? Are there any new crafts you’d like to try?
Sadly, I only know how to crochet so far, so I would say it’s crocheting! But I would love to learn knitting too!

What was the longest project you worked on?
The longest so far is probably my Valerie Crop Top pattern. I poured my heart and soul into that design and had a great time designing, testing, and working with other crocheters.

And the shortest one? (excluding frogging!)
My random granny square coasters.

What are you working on right now?
I am working on an overall dress project at the moment. It is gonna be the biggest project I have ever had (when it’s finished of course haha)

What is your usual process of designing?

• Looking for inspiration
  • Making the first prototype
  • Writing the pattern while making a second prototype for tutorial pictures
  • Testing phase
  • Improving the pattern
  • Finishing the design!!!

That sounds like a great process. And what is it that inspires you to create and design?
Usually, I am not really a creative person, at least in my work and study. So I guess my urge to become more creative in other aspects of my life is what’s inspired me to design :blush:

Moving on to some pop culture. Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend?
Song: I still live in the 20th century when it comes to music so I would recommend my all time favorite song Thriller (seems like a silly suggestion because everyone knows this song for sure haha)
Book: Factfulness by Hans Rosling – this is a book that will change your entire view on the world. It actually helped me a lot during the time of the pandemic because it tells you that “the world is not as bad as you think, and I can prove it”
Movie: My all time favorite movie: La La Land. Not for everyone, I know haha, but it was an amazing watch to me.

Any funny story that happened to your recently that you can share with us? :laughing:
I sign up for something online that I cant remember now. When I typed my name in the “Name” input box, it said my name was invalid because a name is required to have a least 3 characters. My name is An.

What is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favorite one must be the highlighted stitch count and the option to choose only the stitch and row count for your size. Genius!!!

That’s awesome! And lastly, please pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr.
I love Mong’s Crochet! I have been following her for quite a while on IG now and always amazed of her works! <3

Thank you so much for sharing An! :purple_heart:

Check out An’s shop - I Will Crochet:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge🏅)

Questions/compliments for An? Share them below! :speech_balloon:

12 Likes

@vonguyenthuyan I totally relate! :blush:

3 Likes

Love this! Sounds like you’ve got your design process figured out :slight_smile:

4 Likes