Ribblr of the week: say hi to Pei! 🏅

Say hey to Pei (@sleepyfoxtreasures) the designer behind Sleepyfoxtreasures, and our Ribblr of the week!

Hey Pei! Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi! :slight_smile: My name is Pei, I’m 26 years young and I’m a fulltime creator and cat mom! Besides being a passionate crafter, I love trying out new things, delicious food, taking strolls in nature and travelling and exploring new places. But, besides being quite curious and adventurous, I also enjoy the small and quiet moments in life. I can easily spend hours in a quaint cafe, enjoying a sweet beverage and snack. Nonetheless, you can find me often on my fav spot in my home: the couch, cuddling with matcha (my cat) and a new project on my hook.

When did you start crafting and how?
My fiber journey started when I knitted my first scarf in 2018. A year after, I fell in love with the art of crocheting and when I made my first Amigurumi, I became so enamoured, that I haven’t stopped making them since! Crafting started as a hobby for me, a way to express my creativity, but it quickly turned into a passion that prompted me to explore the possibilities of having my own small business. And now almost 3 years later - I’m a freelance Amigurumi designer and artist and very excited to further nurture and develop my skills and crochet business.

And how did you start designing?
The first year when I was introduced to crochet, I mainly made creations from existing patterns and I was very focused on learning and practicing everything that was related to crochet and amigurumi. Designing my own creations wasn’t on my mind at all back then and I think It was after 1,5 year that I gradually felt inspired to create my own designs. It did take me a while, before I felt confident and comfortable enough to design my creations though!

I can still vividly remember designing my first Amigurumi during spring in 2021. It was a small chick with a sprout on his head and I felt so much excitement after making it. Since then, I have been designing a lot of cute and whimsical animals and occasionally some home accessoires. Seeing my designs made by other crafters gives me so much joy and fulfilment and it further fuels my desire to keep designing and creating!

That’s amazing! Do you have a favorite craft type and if so - why?
Ever since I started to crochet - I was instantly drawn to it. I have always loved to draw, paint and try out other creative mediums, but crochet holds a special place in my heart. I used to hop from one medium to another one and kept trying out new things, but there wasn’t really a craft type that really held my attention. It’s different with crochet. From the start, I wanted to learn and understand everything and until this day I’m still as fascinated with it as back then. Although it started as a hobby, a way to unwind and express my creativity - it became so much bigger, it’s part of my life now. And although It’s my favourite craft and occupies most of my time, I still love to occasionally try out new mediums as well.

What was the longest project you worked on?
I don’t really keep track on how long I work on my projects. But I occasionally also like to make crochet garments and I remember crochet testing a top with puffy sleeves - that took me a lot of tries to get it right. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish the top and although I didn’t work on it non-stop, there were days that I worked on it for a couple hours! The top itself was quite simple, but making the puffy sleeves was very challenging! In the end, I was very happy with the result :slight_smile: But it was definitely a project that took me quite a while to finish!

What are you currently working on? Be honest - how many WIP do you have right now? :sweat_smile:
I’m currently not working on anything XD But that’s very unusual! We are going on an overseas holiday in 5 days, so I just finished my last crochet test for another designer today! And now I’m trying to lay off on starting a new project. I do have to admit I have many WIPS. I don’t think I dare to count them, some of them have been laying around for over a year now… I think that says enough.

Which of your designs are you most proud of?
Oh that’s a hard question! I think I’m currently the most proud of my Fluffy Mochi cat design! It’s actually a very simple design, but I think it helped me realise that I actually enjoy making simple, but cute designs. Before I always felt an immense pressure to add as much detail as possible and make it intricate. But this design helped me embrace the expression: less is more! Also I have noticed that this design is very versatile! I have been having a lot of fun transforming my Mochi cat into different animals and characters! :slight_smile: Peep my Mochi Tiger design!

What is your usual process of designing? What inspires you to design?
I draw a lot of inspiration from animals, nature, food and the movies and series I watch. Often, I watch or see something and an idea will pop into my head. Sometimes I also like to actively brainstorm and come up with ideas, but I mostly get inspired by other artists and what I perceive around me! From there, I either try to draw a rough sketch, or create a mood board on Pinterest before I start my first prototype. Sometimes I also like to start from scratch when I’ve got an idea, but it really depends on my mood and energy. After finishing my first prototype I often make a second version and make some alterations if needed. But there are also times that I’m just creating without a plan in mind and I’ll just stick to the first version I made.

Any favorite song, book or movie you would like to recommend? :notes:
I don’t really have a favourite song/book or movie! I always have a hard time picking favourites in general. But there is a certain type of film/series I enjoy a lot! I love watching Japanese animation movies/series. I think they are visually so aesthetically pleasing, but more than the art, the characters and stories always manage to move me and I experience a lot of nostalgia. Overall they are just so wholesome!

Share a funny story that happened to your recently :laughing:
This is not really a funny story, but we recently had the opportunity to cat sit for a couple in the neighbourhood. We met them through a cat sitting platform so we didn’t knew each other personally. Afterwards they visited us to pick up their keys and they stayed over for a couple hours. During the evening, my crochet journey was mentioned and they both were really curious and excited about it. They even asked me to demonstrate how to crochet XD In the end we even made plans for me to teach her how to crochet!

That’s awesome!
We’d love to know - what is your favorite feature on Ribblr?
My favourite feature is Ribblr ePattern! I think that it’s very user friendly! I love how interactive it is, you can easily keep track of your progress, but it’s also very beginner friendly - because of the video tutorials that are automatically incorporated.

Finally: Pay it forward - your shoutout to a fellow Ribblr!
A good friend of mine @windrises.crochet just recently started using Ribblr and she’s currently holding a tester call via this platform! She’s extremely talented, makes the cutest designs and creations and is such a sweet soul! Please check her out and stay tuned for the pattern release! :smiley:

Thank you for sharing Pei! :purple_heart:

Want to read more?
Check out all our previous featured Ribblrs here.

Want to be our next Ribblr of the week and earn a special badge?

Send us a message and be our next Ribblr of the week (plus earn our special Ribblr of the week gold badge​:medal_sports:)

Check out Sleepyfoxtreasures shop now​:point_down:

13 Likes

Aaaaa! Congrats Pei!! I’ve just fallen in love with you and your creativity all over again :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Keep doing what you’re doing because you’re an inspiration :white_heart:

9 Likes

Congratulations!!

8 Likes

I enjoyed this story so much… Its amazing to see how creative you can be if you know how to crochet or knit…:yellow_heart:keep being creative

8 Likes

I love how ribblr lets you express who you are. it’s like a therapy. love reading them on why, how they love crafting, crochet… cause hey, I feel you, that’s me too vibe! #iloveribblr :pleading_face:🫶🏻

7 Likes

Thanks so much for your kind words Tash!! :pleading_face: It honestly means the world to me, hearing this!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So glad we connected! And right at you girl!! :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Haha thanks so much!! :laughing: :heart:

5 Likes

That makes me so happy!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you for taking the time to read my story!! :blush: And so true, I think it’s incredible how you can create anything with just some yarn and a hook/needles!! :heart: Let’s keep being creative together! :blush:

7 Likes

Congrats Pei! @sleepyfoxtreasures

You have such a cute shop! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: your amigurumi is so pretty & neat. I love anime, Sailor Moon(from 90’s), Azumanga Daioh, Dragonball Z, & Inuyasha are my faves. Do you have favorite animes/mangas? Congratulations again, Take care, Anna

5 Likes

Keep being creative
:blush::blush::blush:

6 Likes

Yes!! I can’t agree more with you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: only positive vibes here!! :grin: And you are right it is kind of like therapy!! Having a safe place with like-minded people is so therapeutic! :blush:

6 Likes

Awh thanks so much Anna for all the kind words and compliments! :blush: You are so sweet! Ohhh Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z bring me back to my childhood!! :heart_eyes: Lately, I haven’t been watching a lot of anime, but some of the ones I really enjoy are: D.gray-man, Kuroshitsuji, Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, Noragami… and many more! :smiley:
And manga… too many!! XD I think I’ve read more manga than watched anime!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Thank you Lenn!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: You too!! :two_hearts:

3 Likes