Shaping help needed

Hi! I’m designing a wearable for a concert, and I’m not really sure how to make certain things work yet.

The things I’m not sure about is how I should shape/seam the top to be able to make the hood cohesive with the rest. I was thinking of making triangles for the front panels but I’m not sure how that will work when trying to tie the front together and still having space for my body on the sides where the sleeves will be. Not sure if that makes sense.

I also don’t know how to do the back. Making just one big triangle would make it look too plain and I’n searching for more of a witchy, flowy feel. Do I like, just do it shawl style, seam up to the width of my shoulders and let the points fall down and attach the sleeves along the sides?

Here’s an image for reference.
The hood is gonna be a standard rectangle folded in half and seamed together in the back.

The sleeves will be loose, drooping sleeves, not “flaring” or ruffled if that makes sense. I already know how to do the sleeves and to attach them, it’s mostly the shaping at the top of the garment I’m not clear on.

Thanks for your help :black_heart: and yes, I plan to make it available as a pattern eventually.

9 Likes

Maybe you could alternate upside down triangles with diamonds.
Attach the hood to small yoke, other side attach triangles and diamonds.

3 Likes

It needs to open at the front cause I’m very insecure about having anything close to my neck, plus it’s gonna be stacked on top of something!

But I thought about the hood being attached to the sides of the collar area

2 Likes

3 Likes

If it was me, and I’m a basic gal, I’d just to rectangles for all and taper the bottom into triangles but Id also have to do a SP logo on mine. Your drawing looks really cool. I love the flow it shows

3 Likes

sorry, was too tired to finish my thought last night
if you use this hood shape, you will get a more medieval style hood with more drape than a simple rectangle
this shows a modified saddle shoulder, the benefit to this is that it will sit on the shoulders even if you don’t close the front, and it avoids the arm scythe issue, also no closing at the neck will flow open at the bottom and aid in the taper shape even if you make a straight center front
you can split your bell sleeve into a front and back and extend the top into the shoulder
in the back, you can insert a diamond to get the pointy shape
so my drawing puts all of these elements together
I would suggest that after you make some decisions, buy a couple of sheets from goodwill and cut them out to make your model, then use those pieces as your pattern shapes.

7 Likes

Wow! That explanation is impressive!

2 Likes

Ah ha, I’m gonna wear a ton of SP merch in addition so it’s all good :rofl: I have my SP socks ready. And my SP mask of course! Unless the venue requires 1-use masks.

Yeah my initial thought was to make rectangles tapering but, the problem with that is it’s not gonna look right on the body :confused: I did a quick draft of a panel that could work for the front I’ll upload that later!

3 Likes

The idea with the simple hood was to make it look pointy! It goes with Skinny Puppy’s aesthetics and is reminescent of some of the things Ogre wore on stage over the years. I also cannot have anything close to my neck at all for sensory reasons, that’s why I was opting for a more open neckline and for it to be either pinned or laced farther down, like across the chest area. If I uderstand your sketch correctly, I can still do that and pin it down lower when I wear it, right?

Thanks for the sleeves and back shaping ideas it helps tremendously :heart: and I have a ton of scrap fabric to test that with :blush: years ago I got a huge lot from a thrift store.

3 Likes

Yes, you can leave the neck open and not pin it at all, and the hood can have the rounded taken out and the point added, it was the front line that was the point of that piece… So you knew how that was constructed to give you the wide openness at the front that would collapse as a simple rectangle
This is how you get a good that fits the neck opening in the back and has a huge opening at the front
If you make the back regular then split it to add in the diamond, you will get the bias folds from your drawing.

3 Likes

Oh I see! That’s smart!

2 Likes

I think I understand how to make the hood and shoulder fit now! I’ll do a mock up and upload that when I’m done (might take a few days, I have a test going on right now :rofl:)

2 Likes

To better clarify, this shows a saddle sleeve sweater with a v neck and a shawl collar you can see how the construction hangs well and actually grips the shoulders instead of falling to the sides. And if you take the front of the hood pattern and pin it to the v opening, you get the awesome hood without it wrapping at the neck

The bottom right was to show splitting a normal back and what it does to the hem
And I would still do the modified saddle

3 Likes

Ohh yes, I like how that split looks. With the added diamond it’s gonna look pretty!

2 Likes

Ohh I almost forgot to mention, it’s gonna have pockets :smiley: (most likely hidden pockets, for witchy endeavors :wink: ) that is of course the easiest part to design :rofl::rofl::rofl: I can just make the shape and sew it wherever it needs to be.

4 Likes

Or… Leave a slit in the side and have old fashioned pockets. Thus would keep you from ruining the hang of the cloak, help prevent loss from things falling out of the pocket, allow you to remove the cloak without emptying the pockets, and would be able to be transferred to other clothing items!

4 Likes

Wow! Who woulda thunk it!

2 Likes

That’s very cool, however, I foresee this quickly becoming a sensory nightmare for the autistic me XD tying anything around my waist or hips triggers me loll. I guess I’ll try regular pockets first and see if they mess with the shape too much.

3 Likes

Trying to look for less feminine ways to shape the garment right now, this is triggering my gender dysphoria big time XD

1 Like