Shopping tips for beginners on a budget?

I’m so glad you asked this question! So many good ideas by everyone including quite a few I never even heard of.

3 Likes

Is Temu an app? Tell me about it.

3 Likes

Chinese shopping app, like Wish

3 Likes

@anoswaldoddity yes! it is an app, I am sure you can find it on apple store or google play store depending on which phone you use. I just ordered some yarns there, hopefully it arrives soon and maybe I can make a post about it

3 Likes

I see a lot of people on YouTube that are happy with their yarn from Wish… But I don’t really trust it, and would much rather go for rescued yarn and yarn already here over shipping in New yarn

3 Likes

I wanted to post one last update on this — checking the thrift store turned out well! I found an armload of yarn for about $10, mostly thick & fluffy stuff that I bet I could use for chunky amigurumi. There were also some scarves and blankets that I could probably have picked up to frog, but I’m uncomfortable with the idea of taking apart someone else’s handiwork. Maybe I’ll get some on a future visit.

Chatting with other customers also helped me out, as once the ice was broken they were happy to suggest other thrift and craft shops in the area where I could find inexpensive supplies.

5 Likes

I love amazon for notions and such! I definitely would not recommend it for yarn on a budget, I would recommend to order a few skeins from Joanns or the like that are on a sale on every few weeks, that’s what I did when I first started out! I would definitely recommend lion brand’s pound of love to first start out making wearables as one skein is enough to make a several medium/small wearables or 1-2 items in a larger size! It is around $10 for one ball but you can make so many things with it, and it is pretty soft. I also like to use Caron one pound for accessories like purses, and I would also use the leftover scraps to make little things like a simple phone purse or a ear bud pouch. Hope this helps!!

3 Likes

I’m working on a sweater right now with Pound of Love.
I have been pretty happy with it. I remember using it long long ago and didn’t lie it at all, but I saw it in the store and fell in love. The colors look like suede. I mean it feels like regular acrylic, but the I can’t get over the look.
For the sweater I’m working on, I need 3 colors, and it’s knit. I will have enough to make at least 2 sweaters, but crochet takes so much more yarn than knit.

4 Likes