Should I be worried about this or am I overthinking?

So, I basically only use a very thin yarn, is a 28 WPI (I believe this would be considered a thread yarn), why? Because I’m broke and it’s creap and good quality, but recently I’m trying to make my own designs and I’m really worried about not being able to tell people exactly the size the toy is going to have in a more common yarn weight.
I know testers can help with that, but the problem is that I’m new in all that so I’m really unsure about things like how many testers do I need? How many time I need for testing in each projects? So right now I want to experiment and define a schedule for dropping new patterns before I use testers so everything work well.
So the thing here is, let’s say a person is using filters in their search, they’re probably not looking for a project with thread yarn, and even if I don’t put that information in the materiais, the size in the photos is tiny and yes, I know people can use most amigurumi patterns with any yarn weight, but its hard to know how big the toy is going to be when the original was made with such a thin yarn and I just thought maybe this would keep people from trying my patterns? I don’t know, I’m probably just overthinking it, sometimes I’m kinda insecure and I wanted to hear from you all what you think.

18 Likes

If I saw something with thin yarn, I would still check it out, and if I wanted to see what it looks like in a different yarn, of course I’d make one! I personally like experimenting with crochet, and I’m sure very few, if any, would skip over a cute pattern just cause it’s made in a different yarn than normal

9 Likes

Oh thank you, I was just stressed out about people being pushed away from the pattern because they can’t have a clear ideia of the size the toy is going to have, it’s good to hear this isn’t a big deal.

6 Likes

I seriously think that if i saw a pattern made with a thin yarn i wouldnt skip it. I would probably check journals to double check what it would look like with the kind of yarn i would use. If you are testong accept as many people as you can with as many different yarn types:))

6 Likes

i would definitely still check it out! and if you’re still a little stressed, you can always double up on yarn (:

6 Likes

I think you are worrying yourself unnecessarily and forgetting how versatile all crafters are.
Don’t doubt yourself and your tester’s
I would still check out a design even in thin yarn.
:heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it! Crochet can be very unpredictable, considering tension, hook size, and yarn size, so it’s most likely going to be different for everyone. In the measurement section, I usually say something along the lines of this:
“Size will vary depending on your tension, hook, and yarn choice.”

For testers, I see most people accepting around 10, and sometimes just accepting as many people as possible.
The time you assign will depend on how many stitches and components are in it. Not all of the people are going to work on it for hours each day, so you might need to give around a week for small projects, or more than that if it’s pretty big.

6 Likes

i would absolutely still check it out if it was in thin yarn!!

if it will help you feel better, you can ask your testers to indicate in their journals what thickness yarn they used / what hook / how big their item turned out and any adjustments they made, so that people considering getting the pattern can see the various end products :smiling_face:

4 Likes

I would absolutely check it out! I’ve made the same pattern in worsted and chunky weight yarn. I could make it in thread too lol. Don’t worry too much, we are attracted to interesting things- I’m also attracted to shiny things but that’s besides the point lol.

4 Likes

I’m getting my head around testing and how I should do it, but I’m definitely going to pay attention to this once I start using testers.

3 Likes

I usually don’t double up my yarn because it kinda looses the point of buying the thin yarn, which in my case is that is cheap and go a long way because I don’t use a lot.
But in some especific cases I do this, like, I’m going to release a finger puppet body base pattern and I wanted to make it with more common yarn weight.

3 Likes

It’s great to hear it, I know how crafters are versatile, but sometimes I’m such a overthinker lol

4 Likes

I like the ideia for the measurements, about the testers as I said I’m quite new to this so I need to get my head around it first so I don’t make things difficult, so thanks fo the tips :blush:

5 Likes

Great tip, I’m definitely doing this once I start using testers, thank you :blush:

3 Likes

Good to know I’m really overthinking it, now I can focus in making my patterns interesting (and maybe shiny because I’m a magpie too lol).

3 Likes