Neverending Sock-along! MAL thread.

Hey there Ribblr gang! Me and my friend @jbcohen have been doing our own little sock-along together and thought it could be fun to open it up to everyone.

There’s no prizes or anything, it’s just something to do for fun and then we can all post about it in this thread and talk about our socks and yarn choices.

Info;

• Free sock-along with no pressure, even just making one sock or half a sock is acceptable.
  • All forms of craft are acceptable as long as it’s a sock or stockings that you’re making.
  • No Deadline
  • All skill levels welcome.
  • Any patterns are welcome.
  • Pre-existing WIPs are accepted.
  • Use #doubleJsock on Instagram if you post on there so we can see your socks!
35 Likes

The first sock I’m working on is for my pigeon socks! I’m using the free pattern Hermione’s Everyday Sock from Ravelry and using West Yorkshire Spinners 4 ply in Wood Pigeon. I’d love to be able to finish the pair by the end of the year which is a big task as I’m still a beginner knitter.

10 Likes

This is so cool! Never attempted socks yet but now this gives me a push to!

7 Likes

It took me a while to realize that you were not making socks for your pigeon, in fact I did not see any pigeon nearby.
But without a doubt the name of the color, of the wool is very spot on.

9 Likes

@PrettyMuch I can fix not seeing a pigeon!

I don’t think the socks will fit him though, bit too big.

@Emscrochetgoodies Yesss you should totally attempt a pair! And you can ask here for any help you need and we’ll either be able to answer your questions or find you resources to help answer your question.

10 Likes

Hi @JZsketch ! I’ve actually started knitting a pair of socks but ripped out the whole entire thing because I had no idea when to stop the first part :laughing: So this gives me inspiration to start them up again! What color(s) of yarn do you think I should use? :blush:

6 Likes

Which pattern were you using? And do you mean the ribbing or the leg part (assuming you were doing top down and not toe-up)? Feel free to post your yarns and I’ll see if I can help you decide, also mention how many grams of each one you’ve got too.

4 Likes

I was thinking about trying to knit a pair of socks, so this might just be what I need to actually start. :blush:

4 Likes

I believe it’s the ribbing part? Also with yarn, I’m thinking about using some of this yarn for it? I definitely have enough yarn in this ball because it was originally a pound :blush: and I haven’t used it a lot :wink: Also it is worsted weight like it asks for :blush: Also one question: is DK yarn weight 3 or 4?
Update: the picture was having trouble uploading, it’s a light blue/turquoise for the yarn I’m thinking of? :blush:

4 Likes

Those are knit flat. How interesting! :grinning: I’ll be watching for your progress. :blush:

3 Likes

DK would be 3 weight. This chart might help with the different names for the weights, it still confuses me since most of my fibre crafting friends are in America and Canada and I’m in the UK so the terms get confusing fast.

It looks like your pattern is knit flat I’m guessing? It looks like you literally just repeat the two rows until it’s 16 inches in length and then move onto the next stage. Make sure you have a tape measure or ruler handy and check it every so often.

@Lakeviewknitter you should totally give it a try, if you need a beginner sock pattern I can suggest checking out Crazy Sock Lady on YouTube. She has a series of vanilla sock videos for both DPNs and magic loop, there’s also written patterns to go with them for a little money but honestly you can get by with just the videos.

4 Likes

I’m probably crazy but I fell in love with a pair of socks that uses two colours. I have knit colour work before and I’ve made felted slipper socks and thrummed slippers both made like socks with heel gussets. I even have the yarn, I just need to get brave enough to cast on. :roll_eyes: It uses Knit Picks Hawthorn Fingering weight yarn and the pattern is from Knit Picks.

8 Likes

Oooo those look like a lot of fun :o I’m guessing they’re cuff down? You can do it I believe in you! Just make sure you check how many stitches for your size, I bet you can get it cast on today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re right, they’re cuff down. :blush: I plan to start knitting them this week. I’m sure we’ll all have a lot of fun (and I’ll have lots of questions) as the rest of the year progresses. I’m so glad you two thought of this! :grinning:

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see them started, and yeah we figured we’d see if other people wanted to join us in sock land and it turns out a few of your do XD

3 Likes

Hi all, sorry for the late reply (I hounestly thought i did this earlier) but I’m JB the other lovely host of this MAL. It’s been a few days but I’ll be posting my socks on this thread tomorrow. Can’t wait to see what you all are working on soon.

5 Likes

I’m in!! I’m planning on knitting my husband a pair of socks for Christmas! I made him a pair last Christmas and he wore them so much he burned a hole on the bottom of them both haha, I should probably look up how to darn them but that seems more daunting than just making him a new pair lol

5 Likes

Do you know how to crochet? If you do I know a really easy way of patching up those holes :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m always going to encourage learning to repair items (I run the eco personal space here on Ribblr and mending is a big part of my lifestyle), it’s not as scary as it seems but it’s definitely something that’s easier to do when the hole first starts to appear. If you remember specifically where the holes wore (assuming you don’t have them still) you could learn how to reinforce those sections, such as by weaving some extra yarn or nylon through those sections to effectively create a reinforced patch.

Do you know what pattern and yarn you’re going to be using? I’m still working on my pigeon socks posted further up in this thread, but I want to start another pair using the ‘Weasley rib’ pattern from Ravelry, guess I need to get a move on so I can start them!

5 Likes