SOS Tunisian Crochet Service Project

Edit: New question for this Blanket, see comments below there will be a new picture of it.Thanks!

Hi all!
I have been charged with piercing together some blankets for a friends Grandma’s dying of cancer. One of her last wishes is for her projects for grandkids to get finished. She has several unfinished blankets with no patterns and the story is that she mostly makes them up.
I am a knitter with crochet experience and a little Tunisian under my belt.
Does this stitch pattern look familiar to anyone and can you point me to instructions for it? Some of the panels for this blanket need finished, I could simplify it and make it work but thought if I can stick to the original I should try.
Thank you! And stay tuned as I may have more questions. We also have to puzzle out the order pieces are meant to be put together!

17 Likes

I am so sorry I don’t recognize this pattern :pensive: I wish you lots of luck on your journey of finishing Grandma’s projects! :purple_heart: You could see if there’s a place Grandma keeps patterns or you could try to ask her if it’s possible :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks. Sadly there are no patterns that have been found and the family says she isn’t super coherent at this stage. She is in hospice and they don’t think she will be around much longer. Doing what I can so the Grandkids can have something to remember her by. I think we are going be able to piece together enough blankets for each so that has been a silver lining.

4 Likes

That’s very touching, and really well done for doing this!
I’m thinking maybe @Abbeymade can help?

3 Likes

Sure Saar I can have a go.

These look like tdc and ttc worked as relief stitches.
So Tunisian double crochet for the shorter ones and Tunisian treble crochet for the taller ones. I suspect they are worked over the top of tss that already exists underneath them.
And I don’t think there is mid row colour changes - work the whole row in one colour.

10 Likes

Actually I don’t think it’s ttc. More like just tdc.

6 Likes

Thank you so much! You confirmed my thought process with actual names for the stitches-LoL Now I can look things up if needed.
I will post more photos of the progress as I work on these and probably more questions.
Thanks again!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

2 Likes

I just finish stitching the panels of this one together. Fortunately they were done and just needed the finish work. Now to make the top and bottom selvages look decent. I am going to try: 1 or 2 sc rows, then a row of the popcorn stitch found in the panel borders, followed by 1 or 2 sc rows again- all in white. Then maybe a slip stitch edge in one of the contrast colors.

What do you think? The goal is to just quickly make these edges neat but complimenting the rest of the design.

10 Likes

I really love your ideas of how to compliment the blanket! I did a slip stitch border once for a circle coaster, it had a nice look to it :grin:

3 Likes

wow, so pretty! i will keep an eye on this thread to see what your edging ends up as.

3 Likes

D-O-N-E!
I ended up just doing 3 finishing edge rows:

1. Single crochet in white
  2. Single crochet in maroon
  3. Backwards single crochet- I think it might be called an I-cord edging? It’s a stitch I learned long ago. Gives a nice rounded thick edge that adds stability.

I think it turned out pretty good. This one is by far the easiest that needed completed just because it was nearly there already. I don’t know if I did it the way she intended, but hope it will suffice and bring joy to the grandchild it is going to so she can remember her grandmother always. I sure cherish the things mine made for me. I also pray that by finishing some of these projects the grandmother can feel peace as she leaves this world and returns to her Heavenly Home.

11 Likes

That looks beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m so glad you could finish this up :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I love this :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Beautiful :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It appears that this is the original Tuniaian crochet stitch with double crochet edges incorporated into it. Hope it helps

4 Likes

i think you did a brilliant job!

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. that’s probably how I would do it.

edit; oops should have read all the way down before posting.
It turned out great!

4 Likes

you’re welcome, feel free to tag me if you have specific questions so I’m prompted to respond.

3 Likes

A final finish might look good if you use crab stitch on the last round - it gives quite a bit of substance and isn’t likely to curl.

3 Likes

haha too funny… just read the rest of your posts. The last row where you say you did backwards sc - that’s crab stitch. LOL

5 Likes