Tester Selection Curiousity

I’m curious and thought I’d reach out.

For anyone doing tester calls, if you put out a call and can’t take more than a few, or only want a pool of information so many people wide, how do you decide who you want to test your product out of applicants? What do you consider disqualifying material? Or particularly qualifying, or even overqualified material?

17 Likes

I typically say “put ___ emoji or tell me your favorite ___” in the comments. If an applicant didn’t do that, I immediately remove them because I don’t know if they will read everything in my pattern. Then, if I still have too many, I look through their makes to see if they have the necessary skills to complete the test. Most of mine are beginner friendly so I just go off of the neatest work or something like that.:yellow_heart:

11 Likes

That’s a really helpful outlook! Thank you for your input Rainbow. ^-^

7 Likes

tbh i was wondering the same, i keep accepting everyone but some people just completely ghost

9 Likes

i remember stumbling across this post and i bookmarked it since i plan to be posting lots of tester calls, it helps a lot :>

9 Likes

same lol

6 Likes

Put something in the requirements like rainbowpenguin2 said! Also, I look at their makes and see what kind of things they’ve made, how neat their stitches are, what kind of yarn they use, ect.

7 Likes

I appreciate y’all’s feedback, thank you! And that link was very helpful, @d41syxx ! A good read, for sure!

5 Likes

I usually ask them to put a specific thing in their comment and don’t accept them if they don’t. I also look at their makes and see sometimes how good they are at taking photos, bc sometimes a requirement is good quality photos so I can tell what it is

8 Likes

When choosing testers I look at who seems most active on the community first, since hopefully they’ll be more likely to communicate regularly. Then I check to see what people’s journals look like for the makes they’ve done. If everyone seems about the same, then I prioritize applicants who seem the most enthusiastic for the pattern (e.g. left a comment on the tester call). The only things that will rule someone out for me is if they joined the website that same day (will often apply to things and not return), or if in someone’s journals they are listing errors in the pattern they’ve tested (errors should be messaged directly to the designer to be fixed) and / or writing out lines of the pattern.

I don’t generally take karma points much into consideration, as I’ve found that it’s not a great indicator of reliability. I’ve had some great testers with 0-10 karma, and some really poor ones with super high karma.

8 Likes

Same here with the karma, don’t rely on it!

7 Likes

I appreciate the call out on the karma. Much as I’d like that to be a helpful feature, I feel like y’all’re right.

7 Likes

What I look for when choosing testers is first of all, like @RainbowPenguin2 said, tell them to do something when they apply like put their favorite make or put some certain emojis because this lets u know that they know what they have to do as a tester and that u can Linda trust them for it. I also look at their makes to see the quality of photos sometimes and how well their work and photos are, as well as their journals. If in their journal they include some good information abt the pattern or talk abt what worked for them and what they liked and they just have a good journal overall, that shows that they’re a good tester too! Thus of this stuff tho, it’s also good to give new people here a chance to test as well! Sorry if that’s a lot to read heheh.

:))

6 Likes

you’re completely fine! That’s a great outlook and I appreciate it immensely!

7 Likes