testers did not submit at all and on time despite me giving more time

hello, just want to ask is there anything I could do if testers do not submit the testing photo of the object at all and if they submit late despite me giving time. What should I do for both?

12 Likes

Hmm, are you referring to a tester photo in the journal or in the group message? They might have added it in the journal without knowing to send it in the tester group message, I guess just make sure you view your pattern as a customer/in shop manager or however it is to view pattern journals just to be sure for those that didn’t submit at all.

If they didn’t submit at all I would remove the tester but do not click the gift & remove option as that’s only meant for those that completed the test.

As for submitting late, that’s up to you whether you want to gift and remove them or just remove them. Since the due date was clearly stated and they applied knowing the due date they should have finished since they applied knowing it, if something came up they should have messaged in the tester group message you created as well to let you know if something came up/needed more time. But once again whether you gift & remove is up to how you feel as they completed the test albeit late but you won’t be in the wrong either way here I believe

If you’re still unsure I would wait to see other crafters opinions here as I’m not a designer so I don’t know if this is the protocol or not

9 Likes

This has happened to me a few times, I mesaged them again saying they had one day to upload a photo and complete, then I removed them without gifting them the pattern. Unfotunatly it happnens, but not that often. I find it happens more when you give them a longer deadline initially.

7 Likes

It’s unfortunate that this happens often enough that it warrants a thread but a good way to screen testers is to not base it on the quantity but quality of their makes. Alot of people just have the same cow/mushroom/frog/worm/ball/egg/etc shapes in quick to work up yarn…which is fine but yknow…

I’ve only had one tester call and it went smoothly. I kept it small and it wasn’t for an amigurumi. I think amigurumis are more likely to be chosen by testers if they’re cute and simple shapes because they’re quicker to finish.

Also, I’ve been late to or just HAVEN’T SEEN or been NOTIFIED at all of tests and the feeling is absolutely mortifying to disappoint someone like that. :grimacing: (Even checking the testing page) So, just make sure that everyone is aware they’ve even been chosen to begin with.

Frankly, I think some people are obsessed with the notion of racking up as many of these “points” as possible because it increases their popularity and/or chance to be picked.

We have full control over who we choose as testers. It’s wise to keep that in mind. They are also doing us a massive favor by supplying us with feedback and sharing their skills…and all they get in return is a cute little shoutout and $3 pattern most times.

8 Likes

And I second the “not knowing posting it in journal vs a PM” part. I originally thought people could save the finished image in journals >_<;;;

Just make sure to clarify to PM a finished image .
Perhaps Ribblr could add an option where the author can checkmark where the creator is allowed to download the image.

7 Likes

ah ok ty all for your suggestions!!

6 Likes

Oh, that’s actually something I’ve been thinking about recently! I always forget to ask permission until basically the last moment, so that would be super helpful!

As to the posted question;
It’s hard to kick someone out from a test, but if you’ve given due notice and they haven’t been communicating with you, there’s really nothing you can do. The thing with doing testing on an online platform is that we’re completely reliant on people messaging each other–and if that doesn’t happen, that’s that.
It’s unfortunate, but it happens. I don’t know if it’s because the tester feels ashamed that they haven’t been able to complete it in time for some reason, or if there’s some other reason why they’ve ghosted the test. Personally, I prefer knowing over not knowing every time, because life happens and sometimes thing don’t work out the way we hoped they would, but a lot of times when this happens, there’s radio silence.

Personally, I don’t give the pattern if the test isn’t completed; that would be unfair to the testers who actually did the work. But that’s just my opinion.

That’s definitely true, and I’m immensely grateful to the testers who create my pattern and leave me feedback–that’s why I always do something extra for those who do the work :blush: Then again, if it’s a $3 pattern and you do a lot of them, that amount is starting to add up :stuck_out_tongue: I personally test because I like helping out, but I get especially excited when the pattern gives me the chance to learn something new!

6 Likes