These are my old!!! Books before I was 14 years

I was 6 years old when I taught myself to crochet ( I’ll find original and post photo later), :camera_flash: ( 10 years when I taught myself to Knit. 6 years old when I got my first Kids sewing machine, i had to wind it to sew. I was riddled in Rymatoid Arthritis at 6 and in a wheelchair and had to learn to Walk again…May Road Primary i taught Phillip Blake my puppy love Boy- friend to crochet and man our friends were mean, saying oh wat a sissy and i remember Phillip standing up and saying ( this is 40+ years ago); you never know You/I could be a single dad and youll have make your own clothes and look after yur kids. Added: I was hand sewing before i got sick and I’d make a copy of my dolls clothes and stitch em up

10 Likes

I LOVE the old books and patterns!!
And for those know-it-alls… Knitting has always been a man’s skill. Shepards, fishermen, nomadic herders, and soldiers have all knitted their own sweaters, socks, and hats for centuries.

5 Likes

These books here i taught myself from. I was 6 years old crocheting and 10 years old knitting im 56 in 15 days time.

Processing: 20220821_144223.jpg…

4 Likes

My grandmothers taught me, so it took forever for me to figure out how to read a “modern " pattern… We’re about the same age and probably went through all the same trends… I detest the new homogenized commercial way they teach knitting and write patterns now so that the only answer to “in not sure what I’m doing wrong” is, " I can’t help you, just copy what I’m doing because this is the only way to do it”

4 Likes

Im going to have to make copys of some of my old books as some are coming apart .id hate to loose the pages and im not going get them bindded probably cost and loose the original state :smile:

4 Likes

My books especially my 2 golden hands/ book of crochet golden hands evwn smell old lol :laughing: :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :wink:

4 Likes

I only had one book till I was about 22.that book was printed during WW2 :flushed:

4 Likes

Exactly!!!
People don’t realize that the fiber arts were strictly men for a long time.

2 Likes

I love your socks on your makes. Ive made my own patterns for years nothing big or anything but copied of actual doileys etc never wrote it down just nite here and there

2 Likes

Very nice collection.

1 Like