Tips for blocking in a dorm!

Hi everyone! I’m a college student living in a dorm and have a somewhat large project I’ll need to block soon (56 granny squares, all acrylic yarn). My issue is, I have no way to access a steamer in my dorm, I don’t have a tub to wet block in, and our washers/dryers ar communal. Does anyone have any tips???

8 Likes

Spray bottle, if you jave a plate big enought for your squares you can place them down and spray each of them , then stack em on the plate it takes longer but good for low space

8 Likes

I’ve seen people spray it with water the pin it to cardboard. If you are worried about space for it maybe put it under the bed or on the fridge. Good luck with blocking

3 Likes

I spray/wet mine and then pin them to my mattress, lol

4 Likes

I used the steam setting on my iron and pinned my project on cardboard. It worked well but my hand did get tired from hovering the iron over my project.
Lol it’s a nice workout bonus. :muscle:
I’ve seen others block acrylic with a damp towel on top of their project and a low setting on their iron.

3 Likes

I’ve seen people get those foam puzzle mats, and make a square big enough for their granny squares. You could even use cardboard. My grandma does this, and she uses a spray bottle to get them wet. It does work really good.

3 Likes

Spray bottle, non rust pins and those foam floor mats you could do a few at a time

3 Likes

Spray bottle
Steel pins (regular can rust)
Ironing board from blocking

When folded up lean the board against a wall and pin them on in batches.

3 Likes

You could pin them to cardboard and hang it from your ceiling over your side of the dorm.

2 Likes