To Tag Or Not To Tag

So, I’ve seen back and forth on whether or not it’s respectable to tag your finished items. I crochet, so that’s the crowd I’m primarily in. I finished up a blanket, and a few larger amigurumi projects, and had attached a little button (or leather tag) accordingly for the project.

I usually don’t do this for smaller items but tag blankets and larger amigurumi.

Here’s the kicker, I recently joined a circle of fiber artists and someone commented that it’s rude for me to tag my items since I didn’t make up the pattern. In their eyes, crocheting was simply following someone’s direction, and by tagging it I was undermining the pattern maker.

I felt off about this, so I decided to come here to ask Ribblr. I’m generally a non-confrontational person, so I agreed and kept it at that. I haven’t done anything with these items yet as I’m not sure if it is unethical. If it is, I’ll remove them, but they have been a sort of pride/completion mark for me on my projects that if I’m just overthinking I’d rather keep them on.

So, beautiful crafters of Ribblr, what’s your stance on this?

14 Likes

Are you talking about those leather (or another material) tags that say something like ‘Made by Alyphira’ or your logo or whatever personalization? What does your tag say?

7 Likes

Yep! It’s ones that just saying “Alyphira Crochet” or “Alyphira”

The buttons are wooden, and the tags are like the faux leather ones you see on Etsy and such.

7 Likes

Oh, that’s a tough one
As a designer, I think it would bug me to find out that someone had tagged my design with their name.
When you buy an item of clothing, the designer’s name is on it, not the seamstress that made it.
On the other hand, once I put the instructions for my design out there, I have no control over what gets done with it.
Personally, I think the contention would be “made by” vs “designed by” on said tag… Without those words, it’s assumed the entire item is the creation of the name on it.

12 Likes

Thats very true! Ive never thought about it that way. Obviously with listings and selling i include a card about the details and who made the pattern. Thank you for the insight!

9 Likes

Oooh what an interesting conversation! Personally I never thought of it either way, and originally wouldn’t have given a second thought if it wasn’t their own design… But now that you mention it, I have only personally seen them used by designers, on their own designs/makes… And what @anon5108995 said about the designer on the label not the seamstress makes sense too…
However, I can’t say I’d be upset to see my design with someone’s tag on it knowing that they made it, but I do think a “made by” would be more polite than just the creator’s name/logo

8 Likes

I’m considering adding made-by to my current tags, then just dropping the use of them at the moment. The only things I’ve ever sold that were tagged were moss stitch blankets - which to me I dont feel anyone “created” as far as I’m aware. It was for the amigurumi that I did become hesitant about due to this. Especially since I know not everyone checks instructions or notes that come with handcrafted goods.

I’m in the business of English and studied as an English major so I take this plagiarism and such seriously. Plus, I never want to unintentionally hurt a fiber artist. It’s why I’ve been having some deep thoughts about it and thought it wise to ask here!

eta: change "add to ask

8 Likes

I think if it said “made by Debi” just to honor all the work that went into making it. But not claiming I designed the pattern.

9 Likes

Yep!

5 Likes

I think that’s a valid conversation to have. What we’ve done on Ribblr after many hours of discussions internally and with makers and designers is to link everything together. When a designer gets credit and payment but you still get to sell a make that YOU made that’s a win-win and fair for everyone. Most importantly it makes everything transparent. And with the recent update it’s been made more prominent which makes are sold by those who created the design too.

12 Likes

awesome outcome of what could have ( or was) been a divisive topic.
Good Job!

7 Likes

Personally I understand their position and I think they’re right.

So the magic of crochet is those little holes some people hate, I use em to string on prices. If you used a string to attach a removable tag that said designed by or pattern by and give credit to both pattern and maker I think it fixes the issue. (And there’s space to add a price! :laughing:) At least if someone did it with one of my patterns it’s be enough to make me happy. Then again I’m also pro-‘credit card’ I’ve seen a couple times where a business card that just has the names of pattern makers they use on it they give with purchases. I think any kind of shout out fixes the issue is what it comes down to for me.

7 Likes

Thank you everyone so much for the input! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I love and am very open to these conversations, but as a person face to face, I tend to get emotional and afraid when faced with someone of a differing viewpoint. Her comment made me think, and that’s why I thought to ask here as I was honestly “taught” differently by other people. It was really something I wanted insight on since I know crochet/knitting/sewing and any fiber or craft for that matter is very important to the people who partake in it.

This particular scenario reminded me of the person submitting A.I. art, so I felt I needed the opinions of pattern makers here since I do not make any public patterns at the moment.

Thank you all so so much again. I think I’ll keep my tags on only the items I design and create myself, and for other things (mostly the Amigurumi) keep my tag off of it and provide a “stats” card with each design that shows the pattern maker (and their contact/ribblr/etsy or wherever), the time it took me, yarn make up and price. I’m mostly utilizing this for items that may be sold in craft fairs and such. I have paper tags for those, and business card style ones for those that don’t fit for each creation. Hoping to move most things to Ribblr soon.

Does that seem fair for those of you who sell patterns?

If not, what else could I do to help or make it better?

9 Likes

When I began to read this topic, I thought, “Well, that’s a hard question.” I mean, on one hand if I make something (designed by someone else) I would want them to know I made it, it’s my work. But, as a designer, I would prefer to be credited for my design. But I love the suggestion of “Designed by… Made by…” because I think that gives both credit! And if you made AND designed something, then you could put “Designed and made by…” so they know you did both. If you decide to just do it with your designs, that’s totally up to you! As well as when the design isn’t yours but you made it. Also, if you just want to credit the designer that is totally up to you! I don’t think that everyone who buys handmade things knows or does crafts, so there’s some things one person might know that another doesn’t. Great question! Hope this helps and good luck with everything :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Personally to me that fixes any issue.
If that’s not enough to please a designer I think they should put in their pattern a request not to use it for sales :thinking:

7 Likes

Personally I don’t use them on plushies aka Amigurumi but I have thought about the wearables I make. My only reservation is holes. So I suppose it’s all about personal preferance you could maybe have some on hand in case a customer requests one.

5 Likes

I crochet and sell my makes on Etsy and in art/craft fairs, when they happen. I don’t tag anything with anything that cannot be removed without damaging the item. I don’t put my name or Etsy shop name on anything.
I was asked by a client why I didn’t put a tag on my makes, which was the first time out of over a hundred sales. My bald men don’t want to feel anything scratchy inside their kippot and kufi. A tag doesn’t keep their cap on their head any better; the natural fibers stick by themselves.
Interesting that a fiber artist group said it was rude to tag/label your makes. Their creations are not wholly out of their own designs, believe me. There are no “new” designs in any fiber art, just different ways to combine them with different fibers.

7 Likes

Such an interesting conversation! I really like the points on having the label say “made by” and including the designer’s information. It seems like a great balance. I understnad not everyone wnats to use labels at all for different reasons. But 1 great thing aboout labeling is that it helps the buyer remember you and provides contact info if they want to buy more makes from you. But I can say that as a designer, it does feel disheartening when people sell makes from your design with no credit to your pattern.

7 Likes