Trying to motivate testers

I have been giving testers what I believe is plenty of time to finish a test. How do we get testers more motivated to finish the test on time? I can’t keep giving a gift when I have told the deadline and then they finish a day or two late.

17 Likes

I feel like this is a harder thing to enforce, only because its school season, and alot of people on this app are school age, and they can struggle with deadlines. I think 3-4 days past the deadline is where you remove them from the test, only because thats multiple days of not reaching out!

14 Likes

I personally have had a lot going on with family, friends and school. I haven’t applied for tests because I know I don’t have motivation to get it done. Maybe the testers just have some stuff going on and don’t have the time or motivation to get it done. Or at least that’s what I think, I have had testers not do any progress and not communicate at all. I would recommend messaging them and seeing if they need more time or if they even started.

8 Likes

am I testing for you? I forgot

8 Likes

I am 57yrs old and doing this as a business to supplement my husbands retirement. I don’t want to parent here and also don’t want to discourage anyone from testing, so I may have to be more picky on who I allow to test.

17 Likes

Hmm, it’s one thing to ask for a bit more time as days can be unpredictable and out of a persons control but to not ask for a little bit of extra time at all is an issue which I’m assuming that’s the case here.

I’m not sure what you mention in tester calls but perhaps a requirement of communication is a must along with finishing on the due date (extra time negotiatiable if that’s something you’re okay with if they ask) and mentioning that those that don’t complete it by the due date will not receive the pattern as a gift, perhaps that way only those that know this and are committed to test it will apply and hopefully finish by the deadline

Perhaps also message in the tester group message you make asking about the progress and how it’s going and if any help is needed occasionally in case testers get busy with other things in their life that they forgot about the test

11 Likes

I am learning and growing in what to put in my tester call that is for sure. It’s more of habitual lateness. I Truly want to give the benefit of the doubt but can’t continue to allow this to go on. if I do I will not get my patterns out in a timely fashion. I am in the process of writing a cut and paste tester call that will outline things and then will post it in the group message too… I do understand that things come up that may be 100% out of one’s control. When it affects my business that is a problem for me.

11 Likes

Definitely making a copy and paste template sounds really good! I’m not sure why testers can’t ask for more time if needed instead of just leaving designers in the dark and completing it late, definitely make sure to include if extra time is negotiable or not, and also make sure to change the due dates if it’s copy and pasted :joy:

8 Likes

I agree, sometimes we get testers who are not motivated and dont communicate. When I put out a tester call, I am sturn about communication. I send a message out the first day I pick testers, I mention communication, deadline & if I dont hear from them within a few days they will be removed. I also give them a week or 2 deadline to finish the project! Theres no need to keep a tester in the groupchat/testing if they havent communicated the first couple days! This has helped me out some & sometimes it still happens. But atleast you have time in those couple days to find a replacement tester if needed or I just accept more testers then I wanted , knowing some will probbably be removed . I do remember the ones who have finished prior projects & also the ones who havent , dont forget that !

11 Likes

I think that’s very reasonable. As a tester, I have guidelines for myself I must follow for every test. I try to complete all patterns at least 3-5 days before the deadline. If I don’t have motivation, too bad, I have to complete the task I signed up for even if I have lost interest. If I’m not 100% sure I can complete a test, I don’t apply. I didn’t realize how big of an issue unreliable testers was until I joined Ribblr. I’m not sure what the solution is, but I hope we can begin to foster an environment of mutual accountability & respect for each others’ time, effort, and work.

10 Likes

I like the addition of removing from test if no communication after 3 days. I am adding that to my cut/paste now.

11 Likes

Right!! If I apply to test a project , I ask myself Do I love it? Do I have the materials & Can I finish on time? If its 3 yes , then I apply! Theres no need to apply if you know that you wont finish. Yes things do happen, but its rude to ghost someone and not mention to the designer at all what is going on.

12 Likes

I hope that helps you out some!

Also the mention about testers sending in there finished projects after duedate. That is fair for you not to gift. Yes they finished but not on time! So I would also mention maybe in your testers group message or on tester call that “Pattern will be gifted upon completion before & on duedate” or something within those lines!

8 Likes

This is already an issue for me. I get the same with testers on my end, and even so it’s the same with myself. I’ve been extremely overwhelmed and busy lately and that’s why I’ve almost stopped completely with testing and designing temporarily. I feel bad when I cant finish something I committed to, it makes me look bad on both ends of testing/designing. I typically reach out if I have an issue like this with my schedule though.

I will say that being pickier with testers is definitely smart. I get frustrated with testers who don’t communicate or finish in time, so really being on that is good to ensure you get some reliable testers.

I dont think there’s a way to really motivate/push anyone to finish because of individuality preference, but I feel like everyone should stop and think before they apply, to make it easier on themselves and the designer.

But not gifting the pattern and giving the karma is just better for the ones who dont complete.

9 Likes

Bingo!! I am also adding that if they are currently testing for me they must finish that up before applying for any new pattern test from me. Honestly, it was hard for me to make this post but it needs to be addressed publicly. Other pattern creator can also glean some of this info too and add it to their tester calls.

This is supposed to help not hinder designers with testers helping them. It’s not fun for either if both are not on the same page.

8 Likes

I get it. Knowing how many plates I can juggle at one time was a learned skill. Like amber said above we should ask ourselves questions first not just jump on something new and cute/fun/etc. If we just want it to add to our growing pattern list thats not a reason really to even test. First questions should be

Can I really help this creator at this time?
What other obligations do I have right now that might get in the way of finishing?
Do I have ALL the supplies needed right now to start in the next 24/36 hours?

Not only is this a huge commitment its also a time management skill builder.

8 Likes

Exactly. Everyone here is making some great points, so for sure. It’s definitely something I still have to work on, but I’m getting better at it.

7 Likes

It’s unfortunate that you aren’t getting the testers you need.

i haven’t made my own tester calls yet, but i plan to in the future. so while i’m testing for others, i’m also writing down the names of people who ghosted or haven’t finished projects. i’ve seen some people make excuses on why they cant finish tests, while continuing to apply to more tests! I write these people down so I know for the future. (I won’t share my list, i get that people can make mistakes, and people shouldn’t be publicly humiliated)

I feel that if a tester is unresponsive, It’s safe to just remove them and not gift them. As for late testers, i think you can gift patterns without giving karma. so remove them from the test, then gift it separately. i think that’s a good compromise

9 Likes

I too have a list that I won’t share publicly. I hope subtle hint will spur them to do better.

6 Likes

When you find good testers make a list.
As a tester I make sure I’m done well before the date required because I am also a designer and I know how hard it is.
How to motivate them can be hard especially if you given them plenty of time. I wonder if having it on longer causes an issue if they forgot? I’m just thinking outside the box.
I agree also with making firm guidelines I also wonder if placing a required part on communication being part of it would help too?

7 Likes