Welcome sewing people.

Didn’t see an intro thread so here it is.

I’m Trisha from New Zealand.
I’ve just started sewing, the last time I made something on a machine I was in intermediate/middle school, it’s been a long time,

I’ve had my machine serviced, taken a refresher class and now I’m looking at fun things to sew.

8 Likes

That’s exciting! What are you planning to make?

3 Likes

Hi from Florida to New Zealand !

5 Likes

Hi from London UK! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I need to buy a new sewing machine as mine was a cheap beginner machine that is not working properly now (threads are looping around the bobbin and I can’t seem to find a way to fix it…)
I think it will cost more than it’s worth to fix, so I think I should buy a better one…
Up until now I’ve only modified and altered existing clothes, but I realllyyy want to sew a garment from scratch!

4 Likes

I have always wanted to learn how to sew, but I don’t have a machine and have never lived anywhere with enough room to set one up. I think that’s why I took up knitting again after learning as a child, you can move it around the house with you as required.

3 Likes

Clothes and blankets probably, I need to look around and see what else there is that I’d like to make.

2 Likes

Try something older second hand, cheaper to buy and if it’s an all metal inside easier to get serviced.

3 Likes

Hope I can find a good one in working order. I’m not so sure where to look other than ebay…

4 Likes

Any local online noticeboards or Freecycle in your area?

Or repair/service shops usually have second hand ones.

I got mine from a service/sales shop, was about $250.

4 Likes

I wish you were in Canada! My husband has been resurrecting old sewing machines as a hobby to make them usable again. We could have gifted you one. No matter what you buy, be sure to buy an older all-metal machine. The new plastic ones are junk. They don’t build them like they used to. He even works on antique machines and they are incredible to use.

3 Likes

I learned to sew when I was very little, making barbie clothes. Then, in high school. Now I can do it, but not sure of how well.

I saved jeans and t-shirts to make a quilt with but really don’t have the time. :frowning:

I just received an order (online / delivery) of a swimming suit and it needs altered. Maybe pleats, or elastic. Not feeling real good about doing it though. Any tips for working on that type of material?

2 Likes

Hello from Iowa! I just found this app and this thread. I just started sewing in December of 2021.

So far I’ve only made hand warmers and key fobs, but I’m experimenting with chapstick holders next. Excited to make new friends and learn !

3 Likes

Welcome to Ribblr! We’re still a new platform and are slowly growing into Sewing. Lovely to have you here :wave:

2 Likes

Hi welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes