What are your top 5 natural fiber yarns to work with? šŸ§¶

I think thereā€™s softness/ squishy feeling and then thereā€™s smoothness/ lack of prickles. So a tightly spun merino sock yarn would be less squishy and more ā€˜hardā€™ but also much less prickly. But you could have a woolen spun BFL or Targhee yarn that is looser spun and more squishy but also more prickly

4 Likes

I really like Merino Wool or even a mix with Silk added to it very soft!

3 Likes

How much Bamboo do you add to your Merino wool as far as ounces?

2 Likes

I dye a blend that I love which is 60% superwash Merino/30% bamboo/10% nylon. Itā€™s soft, elastic, and thanks to the bamboo breathable & durable.

If youā€™d like the yarn to retain the elasticity of the wool, I would say any blend containing 50% wool would work. KnitPicks has a 50/50 merino / bamboo blend called Galileo which sounds fabulous but I havenā€™t had a chance to work with it, yet.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve recently finished a top in a merino, alpaca, silk blend. itā€™s single spun yarn and GORGEOUS (stay tuned for my next pattern release to see itā€¦)
Otherwise I use merino mostly - super wash usually and a lot of single spun, itā€™s really good for tunisian.

Itā€™ll depend how much $$ you want to spend. It can get pretty expensive. There are some good options around though that are more budget friendly. In Australia the best source is Bendigo Woollen Mills. They do ship internationally. I rate their quality for the price very highly.

4 Likes