What got you started, & what keep you going?

Hello! I’ve been looking for a new place to sell my patterns and just found Ribblr! I’m hoping this will become my new home, with a crafting community I can really connect with.

I started crocheting when my mom and stepdad had to evacuate from a fire in November 2019. I’d been wanting to learn and my mom had been waiting to pass on what her grandmother had taught her. The week my mom and stepdad were at my house was very stressful because of the fire, but it also taught me that crochet brings me peace and joy in hard times. I launched my Etsy shop the night before the first shutdowns in San Jose. I’ve been so grateful these past two years to have something creative and calming to focus on while having two young children and being immunocompromised in a pandemic. Now my mom had cancer and my work has brought joy to her and her nurses, and peace for me.

What got you started and what keeps you going?

Sarah
MadeByMochaemphasized text

8 Likes

Hi welcome im juliana jazmin but you can call me juju or jay. You will love it here i bet ya. Im happy you chose ribblr. I hope your mom gets better. what got me started was church and the orphanage and what keeps me going is taking my project every were.

7 Likes

Hello! I’m Via and I first learned crochet as a child with my great Aunt Isla… but being a child with various conditions and not getting help/accommodations… I lost interest VERY quickly. I picked it up again when I was in middle and high school as something to do during theatre practices, but again, lost interest and confidence in my abilities because I couldn’t read patterns.

I went back again a couple of years ago. I expressed to my husband that I wanted to go back to crafting… so I started picking through various crafts. I make soap, I crochet, I’m still playing with spinning and sewing… I adore costuming, even though that can be expensive and I paint.

I struggle to keep going on things, but it’s one of the crafts I keep going back to. It’s comforting and I can crochet while doing other things, like watching shows or movies, out on the go, and when I’m playing tabletop games (Dungeons and Dragons and Vampire the Masquerade!).

Even with the joint problems and confidence issues… I love that I can make things. Even if I’m not the best. Seeing people who get items that truly appreciate them… is the best.

6 Likes

I was always amazed with how my grandma made things. I would watch her and wish I could do that. Well when I was eight years old she gave me my own hook and yarn ( thats how I came up with my store name ). We sat together and she patiently taught me the beginner stitches. What keeps me going is my desire for crocheting. Just sitting and thinking of what my next design will be is so rewarding. I pray that you and your family find peace in your time of need.

6 Likes

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing. :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

I was caught in the middle of my parents custody battle, the court liaison said i needed a creative outlet…so i taught myself with the help of child friendly pattern books

6 Likes

What keeps me going??? Crochet is like Xanax is the best way to explain it even though I’ve never taken Xanax or anything like it.

5 Likes