What is one mistake you made when starting crochet/knitting/sewing

Learning a new craft takes a lot of trial and error šŸ„² what is one mistake you made when learning I only crocheted with my stitches inside out :sob:

10 Likes

The only stitch I used was a slip stitch and I usually used really small hooksā€¦ so much time wasted :sob:

8 Likes

I tried to make a toy and didnā€™t know there was a difference between 2sc and sc2, safe to say it ended up huge!

7 Likes

I didnt now how to do a magic ring so i had to 3 chains lol

8 Likes

Same :sob: :sob: :sob:

6 Likes

Pulled my stitches too tightā€¦ I learned crochet first and learned how to loosen my gauge, but when I learned how to knit, I started to make the same mistake :woman_facepalming:t3:

7 Likes

Yes @OBabyNMore ! I think that was one of my struggles when learning to crochet too (I also learned it before knitting), pulling my stitches too tight so it would be so hard to get the hook through the loop(s) :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I used to mix up single crochets and chains (sc and ch). The very first thing I made had so many holes because I kept making little chains and then at the end I would have to go back through and tie up all the little holes.

5 Likes

I didnā€™t use the same yarn as the pattern requested and I also didnā€™t use the same hook. My gauge was off terribly.

8 Likes

@asher I would probably LOVE your early projectsā€¦ small hook? Slip stitches? Yes, I love a ā€œclosedā€ fabricā€¦. But yes, I can imagine this is time consuming!

5 Likes

I thought myself how to knit with booksā€¦. This was before YouTubeā€¦ so when I knitā€¦ I knit in the back of the loopā€¦. Oh wellā€¦

With sewing, for a school project I made dress that had a liningā€¦ well, the lining was made of a knit & the main fabric was a woven (non-stretch) fabricā€¦ the dress never ā€œhungā€ right due to this.

@SierraCrochets07 what a great topic!

5 Likes

I tried knitting before crocheting because my sister tried and couldnā€™t knit! I then moved on to crochet and my sister joined me! She doesnā€™t crochet a lot now but we both can! I started crocheting with scrunchies and the only mistake I made was a yarned over the wrong way. I would yarn over from the left side! hehe

Iā€™ve probably been able to sew my whole life! I only make tiny pillows though hehe and I donā€™t do it a lot anymore bc Iā€™d rather crochet! But I have sewn blankets for babies!

6 Likes

I musta my thought I was practicing SC when I made a blanket 6 feet long for my grandson. I was actually doing a slip stitch.
I avoid slip stitch like the plaque nowā€‹:laughing:

5 Likes

That must haves taken forever :joy:

5 Likes

A couple months.

5 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

If what you are saying is what I think you are saying, itā€™s not necessarily wrongā€¦ In fact I like ā€œyarn underā€ for in the round projects, and many prefer it for amigurumi
Iā€™ll try to remember to grab examples tomorrow (just jumped on while feeding baby)

8 Likes

I didnā€™t use the proper yarn or hook size and then wondered why nothing worked out. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

:crazy_face:
@summerbugcrafts

6 Likes

so many mistakes. so many. it would be traumatizing to unpackā€¦ but i definitely have quite a few projects in which i crocheted some sort of amigurumi and didnā€™t turn it inside out before decreasing :sob:

7 Likes