What is your favorite place to buy yarn?

What’s your fav place to buy yarn? I mainly shop in store at hobby lobby, but I don’t like how limited their options are.
I’m intimidated by online shops as I’m afraid texture or color won’t be what the photo or descriptions say. (Based in us, if that matters)! :purple_heart:

14 Likes

For me it’s Joan’s. They send me coupons every week like 50% any yarn and such. My Joan’s has great variety and less crowd! I hate when there is so many people in one store. I actually just got some chunky yarn on sale and some pound of love!

10 Likes

I travel quite a bit so i normally end up at whatever craft shop is in town. As long as it is soft or sparkly or has a nice color it works for me.

Of course i gotta make sure not to overspend or buy so much yarn it does not fit in my suitcase. :grimacing: I stayed across the street from a Michaels for a month once. Super bad for my wallet.

11 Likes

I’ll have to see if there’s one near me!

6 Likes

I don’t have a lot of room for yarn storage. So I try to only buy per project/WIP. But I catch myself slipping A LOT​:woman_facepalming:t2::sweat_smile:

9 Likes

:joy:I agree I just went to Joan’s and spent $41. It was worth it though now I don’t have to buy yarn for a long time!!!

8 Likes

I definitely recommend going! Joan’s specializes in yarn and fabrics

9 Likes

when I want wool I shop online at Lovecrafts or Knit Picks, I’ve had good luck with them. I ordered a yarn from Lovecrafts for my grand daughter’s wedding shawl that was not soft enough, but they send a postage paid package you can use to return yarn you are not satisfied with, so i called them and they said to send it back which I did with no hassle. I picked out a different yarn and reordered, it was perfect for the shawl. most reputable places offer a no hassle return policy.

10 Likes

I get most of my yarn (big twist value) from Joann’s online and the colors are accurately shown in the pictures they have. I also feel like for how cheap it can be on sale or with a coupon it’s definitely store/website I’d recommend.

10 Likes

I live in Argentina, and here there are usually two places you can buy yarn in. The first is the haberdashery (had to google translate the term, hope is the right one), you go there to but something and just happen to see a yarn you like and buy it. Or, a special shop only for yarns. I usually shop in either the Bazar de Hilados, or the Boutique de Hilados. I live in Buenos Aires’ North Zone, so this are also near me which is very convenient. If I lived near the capital I’d probably buy in Scalabrini Ortiz, which is a street full of yarn shops (they sell you very cheap but you have to buy +2 kilos).

I prefer shopping in person because I found out that some yarns make me itch, and also because there is someone to help me find the most appropriate type of yarn and the right amount for my project. Like, for example, when I wanted to knit a hello kitty bag for my best friend, I asked the girl in the shop which yarn was the best at holding shape yet soft and white, and she did, and it was perfect. I do not think I could have known which yarn to use, so I think that if you are like me, that is great.

9 Likes

Joann’s and WEBS! (No Micheals for me because I’m secretly annoyed at them for not advertising yarn in their flyer :persevere: It’s like, why? Yarn is the best!)

6 Likes

I’m annoyed with Michaels because you can’t use the coupons on sale items generally. At joann’s you frequently can.

5 Likes

of course it’s joanns for me!

6 Likes

I’m in Canada so Michael’s is my go to. :grin: Sometimes I’ll pop in to Walmart to see what they have.

I actually find Canada has limited options to choose from. Finding Lion Brand Yarn is like pulling teeth unless you order it online, so Red Heart and Bernat are the main brands I use.

Any independent yarn stores I’ve went to only sell high-end, hand-dyed, or indie brands, which is fine but they aren’t financially friendly when it comes to amigurumi. BEAUTIFUL yarn, just more so meant to make clothing with it instead of ami. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

For big stores I love Joann Fabrics and Michael’s! I personally don’t support Hobby Lobby and only go if the other two stores don’t have what I’m looking for. Michael’s has a great selection of different cotton/bamboo yarns (in addition to acrylic and wool), but Joann’s has really stepped up their game with their cotton selection this season!! Otherwise, I try to support small indie dyers if I can :grin:

6 Likes

Yes I love to too! :two_hearts:

6 Likes

MY favorite will always be A.C Moore, but unfortunately the one in my state went out of business and we don’t have another one:( Now, I’m going to Michael’s and I feel like my store has a very small selection, but what they have is super good and they have some good brands and colors!

6 Likes

I usually do Michael’s because with the rewards I would always get $5 off. But now for some reason they never consider yarn as a “qualifying purchase”.

6 Likes

I know! And now half the time the vouchers don’t work from the rewards program.

5 Likes