What’s on my heart….

I really do not want to post this or think about it but I know the Lord is telling me I need to share this, and to lead others toward what is true and righteous. Halloween. Please do not just ignore the rest of this post, everyone needs to hear this no matter how hard it is to hear. I’m going to be mainly speaking on why Christians should not celebrate Halloween, but this can apply to anyone.

“When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭18‬:‭9‬-‭12‬

This holiday is inherently evil, no matter how wholesome you try to make it. It may seem harmless, but that’s what the devil wants; to trick us.

The founder of the church or Satan says, “I am glad that Christian parents let their children worship the devil at least one night out of the year. Welcome to Halloween.”

We are allowing this into our hearts and minds giving the devil exactly what he wants. As Christian’s we should do what is good and righteous. We were created to glorify God and if something does not glorify him you should not do or participate in it. That goes for anything not just Halloween. He tells us in scripture to stray away from things like this. And we are not meant to be like everyone else, we are not to conform to the ways of this world.

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12‬:‭2‬

Participation is approval. If you are participating in any way you are agreeing and approving with all the evils of this day no matter if you purposely doing evil or not. We should NOT compromise Gods word, being true followers of Christ we should never ignore parts of scripture or compromise because it makes us feel better. Wouldn’t you rather have eternity with our Father, than celebrating one holiday because everyone else does? It doesn’t add up why we would celebrate Halloween, so why should we?

No one else’s opinion matters to me more than Gods. I have so much grief for this topic, it’s so incredibly sad to see people blatantly being okay with this holiday and celebrating it and not even knowing what they are doing. That’s why I made this post; not out of condemnation or judgment, but out of love.

15 Likes

thank you. :pray:t2: i will reflect on this with God and with my family :pray:t2::heart:

9 Likes

I’m standing with you hun, I completely agree! I was thinking about Halloween with the rise of spooky/creepy patterns right now. It truly breaks my heart that so many believers don’t truly know the roots of the things they participate in. We truly need acountability in the body of Messiah! Thank you for speaking the truth in love, I know it’s hard! Obedience to God first :white_heart:

9 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this! I feel like its a topic lots of people just ignore cause its awkward for them. I get that people think its fun, but its really just evil and gives Satan power. My church has a service instead that i can go to instead and its amazing :blush:

7 Likes

You’re a bold one for testifying on this! It’s not a popular opinion even among “ Christians”.
As an older person I find Halloween season starting earlier each year, people going ga ga over decorating their house in creepy stuff, and the concepts in Halloween are getting creepier and evil than what I call simple i.e. ghost, fireman, police officer, super hero, or costumes. Now Halloween concepts include potions, spells, bloody costumes. And downright creepier than ever. Adults calling themselves as an actual witch or warlock.
More than I recall as a child.
I asked God what it was about witchcraft that was evil. I got the revelation that witchcraft at its core is manipulation by the devils power to discern the future, to manipulate other people to do what want, and to use same power to get what we want-,fame, money, sex, etc. So self will run riot.

As opposed to leaving the future in God’s hand, trusting that He knows what is best for us. Resting in the contentment that only comes from God, and treating others with dignity and respect because they are made in God’s image- not as a means to an end- and being grateful for what we have.
So God’s will rules your life and the result is life and more life!!!

7 Likes

I don’t want to tread on anyones toes here, but I want to give a different take on this.
Halloween was originally “Hallow’s eve” meant as a way to both honor the ones who have passed and, the version that got derived from the Celtic Samhain (basically the original original), was to ward off ghosts and evil spirits since the veil between life and death was believed to be thinned. It’s evolved to what Halloween is today, but it started out differently–I guess this works different in the USA than in Europe; in Sweden there are Halloween parties, sure, but there’s also a tradition of visiting graves and lighting candles in rememberance of family and relatives who have passed. Here in the Netherlands it’s basically not celebrated at all.
If I remember correctly, one of the popes made a similar day out of November 1, called “All Saints Day”.
It pains me that a holiday which started out as something to remember those who walked the earth before us and ousting evil is seen as praising evil nowadays.

7 Likes

Thank you for speaking out! This was a really honorable and respectful thing to do and I admire you for it! You have been a big inspiration to me recently, keep spreading the gospel to everyone and sharing your faith!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart::smile:

-Haley :tulip:

5 Likes

I agree, my family does go trick or treating and sometimes to fall festival but we hate the scary ways yk? We just set out candy and go to our friends houses. I’ve never worn a bad costume in my life but this topic is very sad to me because when I was looking at costumes this year, They are all very inappropriate and you can’t find anything good anymore besides a costume for a baby!:disappointed::pensive::weary:
Sometimes I think this quote on quote holiday brings out the worst and i wish that wasn’t true :sob:

5 Likes

Yeah, I can understand that! And I fully agree with the costume part as well. There are basically no decent costumes to come around, and it feels like it’s been like that since a decade or more back–so when I’ve had a need for a costume, I’ve made them myself :sweat_smile:
If you want to know more about how Halloween became the way it is today, I just read this article and found it very interesting!

Especially this part, based on what you said;

All Souls Day and Soul Cakes

The American Halloween tradition of trick-or-treating probably dates back to the early All Souls’ Day parades in England. During the festivities, poor citizens would beg for food and families would give them pastries called “soul cakes” in return for their promise to pray for the family’s dead relatives.

The distribution of soul cakes was encouraged by the church as a way to replace the ancient practice of leaving food and wine for roaming spirits. The practice, which was referred to as “going a-souling,” was eventually taken up by children who would visit the houses in their neighborhood and be given ale, food and money.

The tradition of dressing in costume for Halloween has both European and Celtic roots. Hundreds of years ago, winter was an uncertain and frightening time. Food supplies often ran low and, for the many people afraid of the dark, the short days of winter were full of constant worry.

On Halloween, when it was believed that ghosts came back to the earthly world, people thought that they would encounter ghosts if they left their homes. To avoid being recognized by these ghosts, people would wear masks when they left their homes after dark so that the ghosts would mistake them for fellow spirits.

On Halloween, to keep ghosts away from their houses, people would place bowls of food outside their homes to appease the ghosts and prevent them from attempting to enter.

–Anyways, I’m sorry for taking up so much space in this post; I just wanted to mention that there is, or at least was, a different side to Halloween.

5 Likes

That’s interesting :thinking:
Yup we always make our costumes one year I was a cute little Ewok from Star Wars and my mom made it for me! :bear::joy:

4 Likes

I am an ex Celtic pagan and Samhain is something I wish to forget. I left that devil infested life Oct 28, 2015. I am now in bible college and loving my Lord.

7 Likes

If it’s practiced in a similar way as the old days, I completely understand that! The religion has a bloody past, and I honestly thought Celtic Paganism had died out and been replaced with other beliefs. Then again, I’m not too well versed in how the religion functions/functioned, much less in this century. I’m happy for you that you’ve found God!

3 Likes

I was raised in the Presbyterian Church and then Catholic convert in 1995, left in 2011 to witchcraft. So really didn’t find God but had an encounter with Jesus 10/28/15 on my living room floor.

4 Likes

I have to say that I completely agree with you and @Bumblebelle at the same time, but I too, have a different spin on it.

I am a Christian and have been all my life by my own choice. Me and my family have never been a fan of halloween in general, mainly because of the scary things incorporated with it…but if you don’t like halloween, but still like scary movies, then wouldn’t you also consider scary movies to be un-Christain too?

I believe that halloween in general is not good, but kids are just kids, and dressing up in costumes and going around from doorstep to doorstep isn’t exactly a bad thing. I think halloween isn’t as terrible as everyone thinks it is, but yet again it really depends how far in depth you want to dive into it.

Yes, Halloween can be bad, but also think about Christmas. I know I might dim some people’s spirits with this, but Christmas is almost as bad, if not worse than halloween. Halloween itself is pretty noticeable as to what is wrong with the holiday, being located toward the paranormal and towards the devil. Christmas is almost worse because it has a lot of in-depth meanings behind a lot of our most traditional things. Take a Christmas tree for example, it was a tradition that started in Germany to which it’s whole theme was to represent a fur tree in the garden of Eden to which Adam and Eve took the fruit off the tree. And what do we put on Christmas tree’s that every child likes to snack on? Candy canes. We hang candy canes on the tree, which in my mind is an open book for children to eat the fruit off of the tree of wisdom. Take another thing for example, Santa Claus. We all know him as jolly and happy, but someone decided to take a bad spin on things the year of christmas, and Krampus became born. Krampus is basically the devil version of santa that comes around once the year. Not only is Krampus the only controversy surrounding Santa, but part of the backstory of St. Nick is that he would kidnap children, kill them, and then send them to hell. Many children are told the story of Krampus during Christmas, which is basically telling them an evil story of a devil who will steal there presents if they aren’t careful.

Now I know what you are thinking “How is telling a story of Krampus and telling children that if they aren’t good, that Krampus will steal their presents on Christmas a bad thing?” Well it has to do with Halloween. If we think telling children that a devil might visit their household is any better than shaming children for dressing up in costumes and asking for candy from strangers is any worse, it really isn’t. Children are just being children, and for a lot of them, halloween is just another holiday.

It is sad to see that people have taken Halloween to be a day to worship satan though. But I also feel as though halloween has some good things surrounding it. Let me give an example. Normally on halloween you tell scary stories, to which, anything surrounding the devil is scary and I want no part of it, it teaches children that scary things are not good, and that you don’t want to be around anything that might scare you. This also teaches children that the devil is not good, and that you don’t want to have any part of the devil incorporated within your life.

Another thing was the chicago clown murder spree that happened. People would dress up in killer clown suites and carry around a knife to attack innocent children with. They basically went on a killing spree. That’s something that I can never forgive halloween for creating, if halloween didn’t exist, many of those children wouldn’t be dead because the people dressed in the clown suites thought it was funny to go and attack innocent people at their homes, and take it the next step further and actually gruesomely murdering those innocent people.

I wouldn’t say that I personally celebrate halloween, but I don’t feel any shame in crocheting things for halloween. I have always stayed away from the “devil” aspect of halloween, and have never incorporated myself with it, but I feel like halloween is something major when you are a little kid, but naturally, the more that you grow up, the more that you case less and less about it as a whole. I haven’t gone trick or treating in at least 3-4 years, and I would prefer to just get a couple small boxes of candy and a small present than have to deal with running around my entire neighborhood for some infested candy.

7 Likes

That’s a very interesting take on the whole thing :slight_smile: Especially since both Christmas and Halloween are such old traditions/holidays–both have their history and have been influenced not only by time and culture changes, but different religions crossing with each other and blending together.
Christmas got mixed with Midvinterblot in the Nordic European countries as a way to sway people of the “old religion” to Christianity, for example–and the same has happened with other holidays and different countries, too. Some of these traditions blended; in Sweden it’s an old tradition to serve a “Christmas pig” with an apple in its mouth–even though it’s linked to Christmas nowadays, the tradition stems from hundreds of years ago when the pig was used to praise Freja of the old nordic religion. Most people nowadays are only serving Christmas ham rather than displaying a pig though. The Christmas tree was thought of as a way to ward off dangerous and malicious powers according to the Nordic Museum :slight_smile:
That’s the way things change throughout the times–usually to try to fit with the culture around it, meaning that some holidays are also celebrated completely different from each other in different countries. Sometimes, these things take a very bad turn, often when people have ulterior motives–like with the clowns, which I actually never heard of but which is truly awful all the same.
Trick-or-treating hasn’t really had a foothold in Sweden, so maybe that’s why I’m personally not feeling any connection to if it’s good or bad. Me and my friends did it once when I was young, but it’s considered weird to do.
Maybe some holidays need to be refreshed and reimagined, but I don’t think it’s likely to happen soon since they’ve been around for a couple hundred years.
Sorry, I ended up writing a novel. Again. I just think it’s very interesting :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

As someone who doesn’t celebrate Easter, or Christmas for reasons related to Halloween. This is the first time I’ve seen someone else bring it up!

6 Likes

I have the same take on most holidays including Christmas and Easter. The reason I only brought up Halloween is because its the next holiday coming up.

7 Likes

Haha don’t apologize! I find this topic very interesting too, especially since you are from a completely different country than me since I am located inside of the US! I think its very cool to see how things are so different across the world, but the same in some ways as well. Like for us in America, trick or treating is something everyone does on halloween, your considered weird if you don’t go trick or treating lol. So I find it astonishing that in your country, people consider it the opposite way around! I think it’s also important for little kids to understand the meaning of halloween, but not let that ruin their joy. Halloween is a holiday that is mainly centered towards children, and children don’t think or even realize that they are quote “worshipping the devil” (Which they’re really not, but some other family’s who are satanic might, because dressing up in costumes isn’t worshipping the devil in any way in my opinion). Children simply just look at halloween as a way to bag a ton of candy and dress at their favorite cartoon character and be themselves. I think halloween is actually good in a lot of ways because it allows children to be themselves under a mask and not have to worry about what other people think. In this generation, that is crucially important as well. A child who might want to be fit can wear a superman costume, and not only dress up as his/her favorite super hero, but also feel comfortable in his/her own body, because in this time of the world, body shaming is something that is happening more often. And as patterns persist, it continues down from generation to generation, until very small children are hurting others without possibly meaning to do so.

5 Likes

We have to truly think about if what we are celebrating glorifies God. Nothing spooky or creepy does so, God is a God of life. So why should we be celebrating a holiday that is all about death and fear. This is hard to hear but true; if something is not directly for God, it’s for the devil. There is no in between. It says in scripture not to be lukewarm, and trying to sugarcoat or choose what you want out of a holiday that is inherently evil is being lukewarm.

5 Likes

This Scripture stood out to me, I feel it relates to what you said @Bumblebelle here. I was looking for another verse as I was typing in my notes app but this one came up instead. :white_heart:

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isaiah 5:20 NKJV

7 Likes