What`s the name of this stitch?

Please help! What is the name of this stitch?
This is a single crochet that you crochet from the outside of the work when you crochet on the wrong side. I don’t know if it makes sense, but if you crochet in rows, it’s like you’re always crocheting on one side the right side and on the other the wrong side.

Thank you! :heart:

8 Likes

Crab stitch?

4 Likes

You are not going backward, just make a ch 1 turn and then the row…

5 Likes

It looks like inverse single crochet (US terminology). This results in front facing stitches without having to turn your work, although the inverted stitches do lean the the opposite way than standard stitches.

(Edited to add… see my clarification in my post further down about turning your work.)

7 Likes

as far as I know, there is not a specific name for this stitch pattern. You are working the back loops on the front of the work and the front loops when you are working the wrong side of your work, which gives you a smooth surface on one side and a ridged surface on the wrong side.
In knitting, this is called stockinette stitch and I think it’s called that in crochet as well, but not as commonly.
this can also be done through both loops but changing the direction you insert the hook, so that all of your stitches are the same on one side.

7 Likes

This is what I’ve known it as but only seen in one pattern before

6 Likes

Yes, I think it is the inverse single crochet! Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

reverse single crochet or crab stitch?

6 Likes

This is the inverse single crochet, thank you @TeaLover , I saw that stitch somewhere but couldn’t find it

8 Likes

I want to correct part of what I said in Post 4. You do turn your work when working Inverse Single Crochet (US terminology).
However, by inserting your hook from the back to the front, rather than from the front to the back, you can create a crochet fabric that has all front facing sts on one side.

In order to create the same effect without turning, you would need to alternate crocheting with your right and left hands, which can be done, but is a little trickier.

7 Likes

Two names for the same stitch.

6 Likes

You are very welcome, @brikoba

It’s a handy technique to have in your crochet “toolkit”. I recently made something in spiral rounds, but then the pattern required a few short turned rows for shaping. Rather than regular sc, I did the inverse sc so it looked more like the rest of the piece.

7 Likes