What should I do?

If I don´t know what type of yarn I bought and need more and can´t find it, anyone have suggestions? (asking for the future)

5 Likes

Well, if you know what kind it is, you usually can get scalped by sellers on E-bay, Etsy, and other selling platforms. Sellers try to scoop up what’s left of a discontinued line and then sell it for 3-4x the retail price. So that’s one way to find it.
Other ways include looking on Ravelry, the back shelves of any store (wal mart, michaels), the clearance rack, thrift stores, estate sales, etc.
Another interesting idea is to sign up for yarn sub and if you know of a yarn similar to what you have----Yarn sub lists all the yarns that match by I think at least 80%.

4 Likes

I always go by the rule “buy more than you think you’ll need”, most yarn has dye lots, that means not every single skein or ball of yarn you buy the same colour and brand will be the exact same as what you bought before. Always look for the dye lot number on the skein, I know Bernat Premium has dye lot numbers and Red Heart Supersaver doesn’t. When doing a project I always make sure I’m buying yarn from the same dye lot, which means buying it all at once so I can ensure it’ll be the same colour.

6 Likes

Alright thank you! I bought extra but I’ve had to restart many times and messed up some of the yarn, so I will definitely buy extra next time.

4 Likes

To add to the “red heart doesn’t have dye lots”… When I restarted crochet back in 2011, I was all about the fact that red heart didn’t have dye lots because I was on a super low budget… So I was making a skirt and showing my grandmother (a knitter and hooker) and mentioned that I would buy more yarn as I needed it because it was red heart… She warned me that I needed to buy all at once and check the dates so they would match… I insisted that red heart doesn’t have dye lots anymore so I didn’t need to do that… Yeah, she was 100% right… I bought another skein and started using it to find a very distinct difference, I had a line that clearly showed where I switched skeins :woman_facepalming:t3:
Needless to say, any yarn advice she gave for the next 4 years before she passed, I took whole heartedly and will cherish that I had the opportunity to learn from her!

5 Likes

Yes, buying within the same dye lot is so important! It something that took me a while to understand until I crocheted a crop top that was two different shades of purple lol. :sweat_smile:

If anyone would like to learn more about the importance of dye lots and how to find them on your yarn labels, check out my blog! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

I was just gonna mention Yarnsub’s search feature! I use it often when a brand I want to use is either discontinued or out of stock to help me find something comparable. OP, you might try inputting info about your current yarn in there and see if you can find it!

6 Likes