Who taught you to knit/crochet?

I’d love it if you guys could share the story of the person/people that introduced knitting or crocheting to you! A few days ago, I got the news that my aunt passed away. She was the person that taught me to knit, which led to me learning how to crochet. She gave me my love for knitting, and I want us all to take a moment to appreciate the people that introduced us to this craft :heart:

9 Likes

My grandma tried to when I was a kid, but all she kept repeating was “you do like THAT” when doing the movements. So I couldn’t understand anything whatsoever :sweat_smile:. I’m self-taught. I research videos and tutorials when I’m trying to learn new techniques etc. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My grandmother was crafty. Unfortunately I was never around her enough for her to attempt to teach me anything. I eventually learned crochet after several (years) failed attempts. YouTube for the win. Teaching books never did it for me.
I did loom knitting for awhile which helped prepare me for managing yarns when crocheting, especially when I do graphghans.
Lately I’ve been doing amigurumi and occasionally graphghan.

6 Likes

My grandmother used to crochet a lot when my mom was young, but i never really saw her doing so.
I had seen a lot of amigurumis in Pinterest and i wanted to learn how to make them (i learned how to sew plushies all by myself)… I got a book of some “easy amigurumis” in christmas but i couldnt figured it out.
Then, in June of last year, my brother got me a kit from The Woobles and i has hooked lol (i actually made a reel in my IG @CraftsByAdrivs the other day of my very 1st make!!)

4 Likes

I can’t say my grandmothers were “crafty” because these things were not considered crafts or hobbies back when they learned them, and they taught me as part of what they thought I needed to know as a future homemaker. I have been working with fiber since I was a young child. My paternal grandmother taught me to embroider, quilt, cross stitch, tat, and crochet. My maternal grandmother taught me to knit, sew, and do macrame. They have both been gone for a long time now.

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool :slight_smile:

My aunt taught me to embroider. Although, I’ve never been really good at it. I’ve made some fun patches, but I got bored of it quickly since I lack the fine motor skills for it!

4 Likes

My mom taught me the basics when I was in 2nd grade, but I had a friend who taught me some more when I was a freshman.

6 Likes

I had a teacher who taught me in a craft class during lunch in middle school. Everything else I just looked up. She taught me the basics of crocheting and I chose to do amigurumi.

6 Likes

My Uncle taught me to crochet. I miss him everyday but I got a tattoo in his honour (ball of yarn with a crochet hook and his name)

6 Likes

Aw, so sweet. I’ve learned that many people have a story behind their tattoos.

5 Likes

Um, a plethora of books, blogs, you tube tutorials, .

I wrestled with it all until I figured it out. No one taught me in person.

In the beginning I used moogly a lot.

4 Likes

It was my cousin who taught me, just a basic sc as she had a crochet hook and yarn but hadn’t crocheted in a long while so she gave them to me and tried to teach me what she remembered and with additional help on YouTube (mainly how to hold it and the other basics) I managed to learn it! And I’ve been learning more ever since! I’m also teaching myself to knit with YouTube :smile:

6 Likes

I first learned with my grandma one day when I was 7 but then I didn’t do much with it because I was so little and then 2 years ago I wanted to give it a try again and started of with the basics. then I free handed a hat (which failed). then I stopped for 2 weeks because of school. then during the vacation my grandma learned me how to follow drawn patterns and crochet coasters with 2mm hooks. I really like it and got addicted. after that I free handed clothes until I remembered there is YT. YT learned me some new techniques that I still use. and now I crochet a lot of different things (clothes, amigurumi, coasters, headwear, pillows,…)

6 Likes

My mother in law taught me the basics about 10 years ago, I made a scarf and then quit until about two years ago. I retaught myself using YouTube tutorials. My oldest daughter had started crocheting and I thought it would be fun if we could do it together. My youngest would tell me amigurumis she wanted me to make her and it was great practice. At first I would follow videos until I could read patterns.

7 Likes
2 Likes

It’s awesome that you can crochet with your daughter!

4 Likes

Self taught. My grandma did crochet and knit though. Creating art is kinda in my family.

6 Likes

Taught myself from books as a child after finding my maternal grandmother’s steel crochet hooks in our garage. Elderly neighbor tried to help but thought I was holding my hook wrong. So I taught myself

6 Likes

Thank you, we love it!

4 Likes

My nana taught me to knit when i was about 6!
And i taught myself to crochet about 4 or 5 years ago

5 Likes